U8glib: Graphics Lib for LCDs and OLEDs

Hi
What is the u8glib version? What are the exact compiler errors?

Thanks, Oliver

I'm using 1.04. When I said I made it work in 1.0-rc2, I was using 1.23.
You can replicate this error by just selecting the arduino leonardo board in the 1.0 IDE (uncomment its lines from /arduino-1.0/hardware/arduino/boards.txt if you haven't done it already) and try to compile any u8glib sketch (I haven't tried compiling it with other constructors than st7920 over SPI)

/arduino-1.0/libraries/U8glib/utility/u8g_com_arduino_port_d_wr.c: In function ‘u8g_com_arduino_port_d_wr_fn’:
/arduino-1.0/libraries/U8glib/utility/u8g_com_arduino_port_d_wr.c:80:7: error: ‘UCSR0B’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/arduino-1.0/libraries/U8glib/utility/u8g_com_arduino_port_d_wr.c:80:7: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in

Ok, thanks. I will fix this in the next release.
As a workaround, you can remove or comment out line 80:

// UCSR0B = 0;

Oliver

Hi

U8glib v1.05 is now available.

It includes some new icon fonts:

There is a new hardware state backup and restore procedure to solve conflicts
where pins are shared with other devices.
http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/wiki/userreference#setHardwareBackup

U8glib has also been tested with Arduino 1.0.1 IDE.

Additionally I have some experimental code for SSD1306 (Adafruit 128x64 OLED)
and SSD1322 based OLEDs inside the release. This code has not yet been confirmed
because i do not have access to these displays. Any confirmation or bug-reports on
these display types would be great.

Oliver

I had to release v1.06 because of the broken u8g.h file. This will fix the problem with U8G_PROGMEM.

Additional there is now support for SSD1306 (thanks to Yann) and SBN1661 (thanks to Alex).

Project page: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

Oliver

I'm using the library for the DFRobot ST7920 128 X 64 LCD and it works without a problem, both in serial as in parallel mode. But the weird thing is, is that the parallel mode is a bit slower. In SW serial I got a refresh rate of 6 to 7 frames per sec and in 8bit it goes down to 4 to 5.

Is this normal behavior or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the hint. I will investigate this.

Oliver

I'm trying to get NHD-C12864A1Z-FSB-FBW-HTT working with the u8glib, but I'm getting nothing the screen. It works fine with the Adafruit library. I've checked the pin mapping several times and I have connected to the Arduino correctly. I've unsuccessfully tried loading it as the following ST7565 devices: U8GLIB_DOGM128, U8GLIB_LM6059, U8GLIB_LM6063, and U8GLIB_DOGM132. Is there something I'm missing?

New Haven Display
NHD-C12864A1Z-FSB-FBW-HTT

Digikey link

Manual

Hi

So, the NHD display works with Adafruit Lib ST7565-LCD/ST7565 at master · adafruit/ST7565-LCD · GitHub but not with U8glib, correct?

What is the constructor line (pin definition) for the Adafruit Lib? What is the constructor line for U8glib? Note that the pin order is different:

ST7565 (SID, SCLK, A0, RST, CS) // Adafruit Lib
U8GLIB_LM6059(SCLK, SID, CS, A0 , RST) // U8glib

Oliver

Below is the code used in the Adafruit and u8glib sketches. The Arduino is connected the same in both cases. The Adafruit one works, but the other does not.

Adafruit

// pin 9 - Serial data out (SID)
// pin 8 - Serial clock out (SCLK)
// pin 7 - Data/Command select (RS or A0)
// pin 6 - LCD reset (RST)
// pin 5 - LCD chip select (CS)
ST7565 glcd(9, 8, 7, 6, 5);

u8glib

U8GLIB_LM6059 u8g(8, 9, 5, 7, 6);

The Adafruit library leaves the left most column of pixels garbled. There are a few activated pixels, the rest are inactive. This makes pixel (0,0) actually located at (1,0). The rest of the screen is fine. I don't know if this is relevant information

Seems ok. Can you use the following construcor call:
U8GLIB_LM6059 u8g(8, 9, 5, 7, U8G_PIN_NONE);
and connect the reset signal to 3.3V.

Will this work?

Oliver

Awesome! Thanks a ton.

It looks like the paging is off. To get the Adafruit library pages in the right order I had to change the following line in ST7565.cpp from

const uint8_t pagemap[] = { 3, 2, 1, 0, 7, 6, 5, 4 }; // Adafruit original

to

const uint8_t pagemap[] = { 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 }; // Adafruit changed

I poked around and I haven't found where I would define the page mapping.

Great. Now we need to correct the display and the Bias. I have seen that the Adafruit code and the NHD display do differ in that. I also guess that I need to implement another variant for this display. So, here is another request from me. Can you apply the U8GLIB_DOGM128 constructor?

Maybe you can also send a picture of the result with the DOGM128 constructor. Main questions are: Is the contrast as good as before? Is it better? I also expect that the wrong line will disapear but the display might be flipped (not a problem, because u8glib can rotate the screen by 180 degree) and probably the row mapping is still wrong.

If the row mapping is still wrong, i would like to use the DOGM128 as a template for further changes.

Thanks, Oliver

I'm making an Arduino shield for this LCD, so I'd be thrilled to see these changes make it upstream. It would be nice to point folks to u8glib. I really appreciate the work you're doing to unify the graphics libraries. I'll match the pin mapping with the u8glib default pins.

To see graphics I had to change the contrast in ug8_dev_st7576_lm6059.c, line 70 from

0x018 /* contrast value*/

to

0x005, /* contrast value*/

I have tried the U8GLIB_DOGM128 constructor. The default contrast was also poor, so I changed the contrast in u8g_dev_st7565_dogm128.c, line 59 from

0x018,	/* contrast value, EA default: 0x016 */

to

0x005, /* contrast value, EA default: 0x016 */

A contrast of 0x005 in the DOGM128 constructor seems a little more washed out than the LM6059 constructor.

I've cloned your google code repo and I'm able to run ...arduino/create_release.sh. Do you want to make the changes in there and I'll test it? I can also rewire my setup to be consistent with your library.

Thank a lot for the pictures.
So, this is what i understand:

• page mapping is ok now
  • col offset wrong by 4 pixel
  • contrast wrong
  • dogm128 a little bit washed out

I have created a new device in the repo: NHD_C12864. So you need to update the repo.

I have added this to the U8gLogo.pde example only (at the moment)
line 75: http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/source/browse/sys/arduino/U8gLogo/U8gLogo.pde

The code for the display is here:
http://code.google.com/p/u8glib/source/browse/csrc/u8g_dev_st7565_nhd_c12864.c
At the moment, this is an exact copy of the DOGM128 code.

• col offset wrong by 4 pixel
    --> change line 79 to "0x004"

• contrast wrong
    --> probably change contrast in line 68 to 0x005 (or maybe other values like 0x006 or 0x007)
    --> you might also try to change the value in line 55 from 0x0a2 to 0x0a3

Once you find the best values, i would be really glad to add these values to the new device.
Also, let me know if there is something else wrong with the new NHD_C12864 device.

Thanks for testing, Oliver

Changing line 79 to 0x004 worked. The pixels are aligned.

Changing line 61 (not 68) to 0x008 looked good for contrast. I played with several values. 0x009 also worked. 0x010 is where the background started getting funky.

Keep line 55 at 0x0a2. To get a reasonable screen using 0x0a3 I had to bring the contrast down to 0x003.

Some people might consider the display to be upside down, but this is the orientation in which I would like to use it. It allows buttons beneath the screen to be as close as possible. Are you cool with leaving it like this in the library? It would mean one fewer steps in my instructions.

Good work.
I changed line 79 to 0x004, line 61 to 0x008 and added the constructor U8GLIB_NHD_C12864 to all examples.
The orientation can be changed later by the group of rotation commands: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

I'm making an Arduino shield for this LCD

Looking forward to read about your shield. :slight_smile:

I want to include issues 75, 79 and 81 into the next u8glib release. So i am not sure about the next release date at the moment, but everything is in the repository.

Thanks for all the testing and the pictures,
Oliver

Edit: I have also updated the reset functionality. So maybe this will also work now. Connecting the reset line to 3.3 is a little bit critical. It may work, but usually reset control by the controller or a RC circuit is better: GitHub - olikraus/dogm128: Automatically exported from code.google.com/p/dogm128
For a shield i would suggest to add the RC circuit to have one more pin for the user.

Thanks so much for your help, Oliver. I wouldn't expect my shield to be available until after December 2012, so no rush on a release.

I used the constructor as "U8GLIB_NHD_C12864 u8g(13, 11, 10, 9, 8);" and connected the LCD reset pin to Arduino pin 8. Works just fine, but I will use the circuit you mention.

rdeweerd:
I'm using the library for the DFRobot ST7920 128 X 64 LCD and it works without a problem, both in serial as in parallel mode. But the weird thing is, is that the parallel mode is a bit slower. In SW serial I got a refresh rate of 6 to 7 frames per sec and in 8bit it goes down to 4 to 5.

Is this normal behavior or am I doing something wrong?

I have improved speed for the parallel mode by 30%. This fix will be available with the next regular release. Please send PM for a beta release including this fix.

Oliver

Hello,

I'm using u8glib for an LCD screen I pulled out of an old Dell LTO tape backup library. It turned out to be a LC7981 chipset at 240x128. I was able to modify the library files for the screen, based on some other mods I found already in the files and all is well. (U8GLIB_LC7981_240X128)

I have a question about fonts - I'd like to create my own font, both for a custom look and to save some memory by omitting characters I know I won't need. Can you post some info for how to create/add custom fonts? I've been looking at u8g_font_data.c and it looks like they're just a big bitmap with some parameters indicating the boundaries of each character, but I can't seem to get my head around the array structure.

It will soon be a super deluxe HVAC controller:

Thanks!