Cannot Open arduino_test.pde on MAC OSX 10.5.8

I downloaded the test sketch but keep getting the message from my MAC OS X 10.5.8 that "there is no default application specified to open the document "arduino_test.pde"" What is the application needed, and how do I find it? What am I doing wrong?

Just open the IDE. Then use "file-->open..." and so forth.

I hit file>open and that's when the message appears, stating that there is no default application to open it.

Did you already download the Arduino IDE?

1.0 switched to using .ino as the file extension. So PDE may not be associated with the Arduino IDE. The suggestion to use "File -> Open" was from inside of the Arduino IDE and not Finder. Try opening the PDE from inside the Arduino IDE or right-click on the .PDE file and select "Open With...".

I opened the Arduino IDE and tried to open arduino_test.pde within the IDE, but when I clicked to open, the message was that there is no default application to open arduino_test.pde. When I right clicked on arduino_test.pde, I clicked onto "open with". I was given the option to choose an application. When I clicked on Arduino as the application, I could not go any further. The only option was to cancel. How can I designate the application?

The only time that I have seen OS X only show the CANCEL option when choosing what program to open a file with was when a non-executable file was selected.

Make sure that you are clicking on the arduino application and not a zip or dmg file.

You can attach files to posts. Attach the pde to a post so others can try opening it. Perhaps the file is corrupted.

Here is the application sequence:

/Applications/Arduino/Arduino/arduino_test/arduino_test.pde

That doesn't make any sense.

Please attach the pde to post.

Here is the file

Thanks for your help.

arduino_test.pde (553 Bytes)

I don't know why you can't open it. I was able to open it in the Arduino IDE versions 0022 and 1.0, on Lion.

Here's the code you can copy / paste into a new sketch:

const int LED = 13;          // LED to digital pin 13 (D13)
const int POT = A0;          // pot to analog pin 0 (A0)
int potValue = 0;            // variable for pot value

void setup() {
  // initialize digital pin 13 as an output
  pinMode(LED, OUTPUT);     
}

void loop() {
  potValue = analogRead(POT);  // read pot value 
  digitalWrite(LED, HIGH);     // turn LED on
  delay(potValue);             // wait for value (milliseconds)
  digitalWrite(LED, LOW);      // turn LED off
  delay(potValue);             // wait for value (milliseconds)
}

Jim@Austin:
Here is the application sequence:

/Applications/Arduino/Arduino/arduino_test/arduino_test.pde

What is the file arduino_test.pde doing inside the application? What have you done?

The test file should be in the documents folder. I don't know how it ended up inside /Applications/Arduino/.

And can you amend the topic heading please? "Pardon my ignorance" doesn't encourage people to open the thread. Something like "Cannot open .pde file on Mac OS/X 10.5.8" would be more appropriate.

Worked fine on OS X Lion using 1.0 for me as well.

I give up. Cannot open it.

If you were using windows I would say you're trying to open the .pde file from explorer. I don't see where opening the file using the Arduino IDE would involve a 'standard application'.

Can you open that file with a text-editor?

Is this your first computer?

Instead of giving up, how about answering my question about what the sketch is doing inside the application in the application folder?

I'm starting to doubt if you even have the IDE downloaded. Did you make a folder call Arduino in the Applications folder, put your sketch in it, and try to open it?

Definitely a weird file structure. The mac Arduino download is a zip file with just the Arduino application inside that should be dragged into the applications folder.

When you say you are doing "File -> Open" from the Arduino IDE, does the application name next to the Apple icon in the menu bar say "Arduino" or "Finder"?

It sounds like you are trying to do File -> Open from Finder. If you have never launched the Arduino IDE, Finder won't know to associate PDE (or INO) with the Arduino IDE. Trying to open from inside of Arduino IDE should never give the error message.

Plus, you can give up on this particular file. I've already given you the code inside of it. From the Arduino IDE's blank Window you can just copy and paste.