3 phase induction motor control

Hi hackers !!!

You must be fed up with newbs too lazy for googling things.....but please help !!! ]:slight_smile:
I am a newb in microcontrollers (just bought the UNO)....and I am a licensed eletrician hence I understand Electronics, but microcontrollers have scared me to be true, but let us cut to the problem....

I need to run a 3 phase 50Hz 400V pump from my single phase supply of 230V.
In my parts bin I have a CPV363MU from International rectifier, which is a IGBT module from a burn-out VFD.

I want the uno to drive this module to create 3 phase power for the load 120 degrees apart.
Also what I would like to do is to connect a 10k multi-turn pot to change the frequency, so I can regulate the RPM of the motor (flow of water)...

So....the UNO would need to generate 6 signals to drive the individual IGBT transistors...

Please Help !!!

.and I am a licensed eletrician hence I understand Electronics,

I want the uno to drive this module to create 3 phase power for the load 120 degrees apart.

So....the UNO would need to generate 6 signals to drive the individual IGBT transistors...

I need to run a 3 phase 50Hz 400V pump from my single phase supply of 230V.

Would you agree that being a licensed electrician doesn't make you a Motor Controller Designer ?
You're right about everything you have stated so far but you haven't mentioned anything about how you plan to get 400 V from your 230 V. Giving you the benefit of the doubt about the electronics it is assumed, (since you're an Electrician) that you already know that 400 V rms is (400* 1.414 =565 V Peak and 1131 V Pk to Pk. Your single phase supply of 230V (230* 1.414 = 325 V Pk (650 V Pk to Pk) . So you can see my concern about how , as an Electrician, you plan to get from 650 V Pk - Pk to 1131 V Pk - Pk.
I know there are ways to do this but usually they are done by BSEETs (Electrical Engineers). As far as the code you may get some insight from this post :

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=270444.new;topicseen#new

but clearly you have some work to do before ANY code is going to be of any use to you. Code is not going to turn apples into oranges or get you from 650 V p-p to 1131 V p-p.
You may not want to hear this but maybe you should consider purchasing an off the shelf single phase to 3-phase converter online.

http://www.phoenixphaseconverters.com/en/?gclid=CjwKEAjw2MOhBRCq-Nr87_j-lDASJAAl4FNhGT8dxzJthtiwz_z6f5WCpJj-LZyCxGqFj054CitN1BoCO8Pw_wcB

They are not cheap but they are available. Anything that goes wrong with a prototyped circuit running at 650V p-p
is going to be catastrophic, let alone at over 1000 V p-p. You are not the first person to post for this and you will not be the last.
None of the previous posters have ever been able to overcome all the obstacles , both hardware and software. Look online. Do a google search for 3-phase motor controller with arduino. You may find something in the way of code but I doubt you will find a schematic with the information you need to solve your H/W conversion problem.

You might find this post interesting:

If you succeed in finding any working arduino 3-phase motor control code I would be interested in seeing it. I have been waiting
to try that with my RC 3-phase brushless motors. I have the Mosfets that I need and a variable current controlled power supply but haven't found any working code yet.

Hi, I agree a VSD is a big job, but.

230Vac as GPO, 230 x SQRT of 3 = 230 * 1.73 = 398V phase to phase rms.

After 3 phase rectify, 398 * 1.414 = 560Vdc

I know,I work with it on VSD repairs.

So DC BUS voltage relatively easy to get, but the control bit, is a different kettle of fish.

Goodluck mate.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

First of all, let me clarify a few things.....

1, The motor when connected as delta requires 3 phase 230V AC, but when connected as star requires 400V AC....
2, I fully agree, that I am not a designer....

I´ve attached the motor plate as well as my block diagram, and I will make a schematic using eagle, so I can clarify all the things needed for this project....

Btw....I´ve worked with HVDC as well as HVAC applications before and let me assure you, I know how the magic smoke looks like haha !!!

Description of block diagram is as follows:

The single phase 230V AC supply is rectified to about 330V DC and stored in the capacitor bank (HVDC link).

DC supply is connected to the IGBT module via the capacitor bank.

The 5V auxilary power supply supplies the arduino with 5V DC.

The potentiometer sets the output frequency of my arduino, which generates a SPWM (sinewave pulse wide modulation) with which the transistors of the IGBT module are switched on and off to generate the phases L1, L2, L3 for the 3 phase load 120 degrees appart.

The third picture is a siple schematic of my build, but the input is single phase.

Thanks anyway....

inverter.gif

I' m not a designer either so I can't help much with that but as Tom pointed out , the single phase is rectified to over 550 V dc which becomes the Vdd Supply. You said the IGBT Module came from a bkiwn VFD so do you know how to test the IGBTs with a meter ?
I don't think they teach that in Electrician School.

MarkT posted code I was impressed with. He actually gets down and dirty with the timers on the Arduino. Something that is a must, given the complexity of the waveforms.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=270444.msg1906701#msg1906701

That's a bare iGBT module, possibly damaged, I'd junk it and get something like this:
http://uk.farnell.com/fairchild-semiconductor/fsbb20ch60f/ipm-igbt-20a-600v-spmca-027/dp/2322642

Its an integrated module with the driver chips included, easier to interface too, but you
still probably need to add opto-isolatation and use an isolated DC-DC converter to
give it its 15V Vcc.

Its also rated at 20A and is cheap.

MarkT posted code I was impressed with. He actually gets down and dirty with the timers on the Arduino. Something that is a must, given the complexity of the waveforms.

Yes , I ran his code and scoped out the signals but my scope is only 20 Mhz so I couldn't get it to trigger because the signals are out of phase . I could see them but couldn't lock onto them. I haven't breadboarded the mosfets or inverter circuit yet to drive the brushless motor.

raschemmel:

Yes , I ran his code and scoped out the signals but my scope is only 20 Mhz so I couldn't get it to trigger because the signals are out of phase . I could see them but couldn't lock onto them. I haven't breadboarded the mosfets or inverter circuit yet to drive the brushless motor.

With an analog scope move the trigger level away from the signal and adjust the timebase by hand?
With a digital scope use single shot mode.

I tried that and for brief moments I can see one of the signals clearly and it almost looks like it is ramping the speed up to full and and starting over or ramping down.

The IGBT module is ok. I´ve retested it using this metod How to test an IGBT brick. - YouTube It´s fine, only the control board was fried....

Would you agree t

Would you agree that being a licensed electrician doesn't make you a Motor Controller Designer ?
You're right about everything you have stated so far but you haven't mentioned anything about how you plan to get 400 V from your 230 V. Giving you the benefit of the doubt about the electronics it is assumed, (since you're an Electrician) that you already know that 400 V rms is (400* 1.414 =565 V Peak and 1131 V Pk to Pk. Your single phase supply of 230V (230* 1.414 = 325 V Pk (650 V Pk to Pk) . So you can see my concern about how , as an Electrician, you plan to get from 650 V Pk - Pk to 1131 V Pk - Pk.
I know there are ways to do this but usually they are done by BSEETs (Electrical Engineers). As far as the code you may get some insight from this post :

I think you are almost completely wrong here. The voltage amplitude of a 230 V supply is the same as a 400V three phase supply, except there is only on phase.

A 400V three-phase supply is 3 one-phase 400V supplies that are kept 120 degrees apart.

Hi, 415V 3phase refers to 415Vac measured from phase to phase.
Phase to neutral it is still 230Vac, each phase is 120deg apart.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

If design life was only so simple.

Why don't you just go out and buy (new or used) a ready built inverter unit, rated for your motor and use the arduino to control it

jackrae:
If design life was only so simple.

Why don't you just go out and buy (new or used) a ready built inverter unit, rated for your motor and use the arduino to control it

what he said x1000...

I know a thing or two about vfd's and I'll tell you flat out you have absolutely no chance of ever making six igbt's output a pwm waveform that will make an induction motor spin at a desired speed.

We could spend days here discussing the correct way to gate the igbt's on so that they don't melt from the heat generated from poor gate firing circuits. Then there is the issue of how much bus capacitance is required and then how to handle the simple task of doing cap pre-charge so we doing kill the bridge rectifiers.

Starting to see what I'm talking about? These are areas of engineering expertise that take years to develop and you simply don't have the background to undertake such a task. Save yourself a lot prof embarrassment and purchase a suitable vfd for your motor and be done with the dreams - because that's just what they are, dreams. Which would become a nightmare should you undertake something that is significantly beyond your ability.

hi every one , I don't know whether people in this topic still interested or not , but I made myself very deep search to find proper opesource for control AC powers , I find faidchid offer best solution and introduce power motion SPM-3 along with FCM8201 controller , although I find more combination of control IC such as MC3PHAC and RAMS06UP60A but it seems faidchid have advantage among them , also I find two following excellent article about this module. however I cant find any free schematic or PCB for evaluation and test but fairchaid has good repository article for whom interested to design his own PCB which is out of my knowledge base

IPM used for power factor correction « Dave Ross Blog
Energieeffizienter mit PSMS und Advanced Motion Controller
How to Attach a Heatsink on a SPM® 5 Package _ DigiKey

The FCM8201 is aimed at BLDC and PMAC only, not ACIM's. I note it does do SVM style PWM
which gives you 15% more PWM voltage for a 3 phase motor.

The MC3PHAC can handle V/f driving of induction motors only, not field-oriented control. It also
has SVM style PWM.

No such thing as RAMS06UP60A, there is an IRAMS06UP60A however, an IPM.

BTW well presented lecture series on motor control:

The fixed frequency case is a subset of the variable frequency case so that's not a problem, just don't
vary the frequency.

When you say controlling an inverter, does this involve control loops at all if the frequency is fixed?

Do you have more detailed information about this "three phase inverter that our group made"?