I need some help with M5451 circuit design please

Hello,

I'm new to actually designing my own circuits and have run into a few roadblocks...

I am controlling 2 35 channel arrays ran off of a car battery. Each channel will illuminate 4 standard white LEDs in parallel. I obviously do not plan on full illumination, but would like to be able to turn as many channels on as possible on each shift. Bright is better!

My plan so far is to drive the setup with 3 dc/dc 3-40V in 1.5-30V out buck drivers to ensure fairly clean power. One will go to each array, and one will drive the arduino and m5451s. I was going to use pnp transistor arrays to connect the output pins of the m5451s to the LEDs to allow a much higher potential load.

I am just struggling finding the desired transistor values and exactly what I should turn the outputs of the bucks to provide an ideal voltage for this setup. After all, that voltage is a key factor, and determines the specs of everything else. Other than those crucial aspects, everything else sound good?

This may help express my point. All resistor and transistor values are not true and unknown. I am in Fort Gordon, GA BTW, and on a fairly quick time budget so quick access to parts is important. Most US eBay and Amazon Prime work the best... Radio Shack if absolutely necessary.

Here are proposed parts so far:

Arduino Uno (already bought)

Bucks
http://www.amazon.com/LM2596-Converter-Module-Supply-1-23V-30V/dp/B008BHAOQO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367539220&sr=1-1&keywords=dc%2Fdc+buck

Shift Registers (Already Bought)

PnP Transistors:
????

Thanks in advance for the help!

If you have 12V to work with you're probably better off putting the LEDs in series. You can then use one current regulator (per string) to limit the current to the max the LEDs can stand and a single NPN transistor to switch the string on and off.

You can make a current regulator from a common LM317 adjustable voltage regulator: