Unable to upload the "Blink" sketch - Arduino Starter Kit.

Hi,

Can anyone help me... After installing the Arduino IDE and installing the drive.. I followed the instruction given in the Arduino Project book (Communicationg with the Arduino (Page 18 -19); Uploading the sketch failed. I did few times but never worked. It showed the "COM 3" - checked in "Device Manager"; BTW, the COM 3 is also shows "Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL (COM3)" in addition to "Arduino uno (COM3)".

I pressed "Reset" button also but didn't help.

My Desktop is using Windows 7 Ultimate.

So, I tried in my Laptop, there I was able to upload the "Blink" sketch without any problem. I couldn't make it work in my Desktop computer.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
Regards
Bala.

while uploading code what error you get it,Please share error msg using quote tag..

can you send image of device manager & arduino IDE where you choose arduino board & port section.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying... and thanks for the reply.

I am attaching herewith the images of Arduino IDE, Device Manager and the Error message.

Please help me.

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Sketch uses 1,030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -PCOM3 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\BK~1.000\AppData\Local\Temp\build1614484112242409105.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58

Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : COM3

Using Programmer : arduino

Overriding Baud Rate : 115200

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0b

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0b

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0b

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0b

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0b

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0b

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0b

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0b

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0b

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x0b

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

Thanks

BK

Above error comes because of 2 main reason

1. you trying to upload code with TX & RX line occupied . might using some sheild while uploading

2. if you not using first one. your bootloader got crashed. upload bootloader using avr pocket programmer.
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825

Hi,

Thanks for the reply....

I am not using any sheild / any other component with the Arduino Uno.

Sorry, I don't understand what is meant by "(2) your bootloader got crashed. upload bootloader using avr pocket programmer.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825"

I want to know where this "Bootloader" is; is it in the Arduino Uno or in my Desktop computer?

The reason why I am asking this is... few minutes ago - before coming to this forum - I was coding the "Spaceship Interface" using my Laptop ( Windows 7 - 64 bit ) and it got successfully uploaded and everything worked well.
Then I wanted to delete the code I uploaded so that I can try uploading it from my Desktop computer so I uploaded the "Blink" code using the Laptop computer; after that I moved to my Desktop computer, coded the "Spaceship Interface" and tried uploading it from my Desktop computer ( Windows 7 - 32 bits) it failed gave the error message.

Because of this I assume there is nothing wrong in the Arduino Uno, but something wrong in my Desktop computer. I hope I am correct. But as I am NOT an expert in computers I may be wrong... if so please forgive me..

Can you please help me..

Thanks
Kind Regards

Have you rebooted? Try plugging the Arduino into a different USB port.

If both the Arduino and "Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL" continue both showing up as COM3, that could be a problem. If you right click on the Uno in Device Manager and choose Properties, and then on the Properties screen click the Details tab you should see the VID and PID of the device. What are the VID and PID? Get same information for the "Intel(R) Active Management Technology - SOL" device.

Hi,
Thanks.

I did as you said; but I didn't see VID & PID in the list when I click "Details" tab; There are 2 Headings: (1) Property - with a Drop-down list; (2) Value.

The Property Drop down list shows many items such as : (1) Device Description (2) Hardware lds (3) Compatible lds (3) Service (4) Device Class etc... but anything similar to VID or PID. ( 5) ........

Sorry about it.. Please let me know if I made any mistake here in finding PID & VID.

Kind Regards

Somebody with a more modern version of windows may need to help you. Mine is old.

Hi,

I googled for VID & PID and found an article "http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96442-device-manager-finding-unknown-devices.html"; according to this I found one that may be useful for you..

For Arduino Uno :
Device Instance Path : USB\VID_2A03&PID_0043\8543931313035151F151

For Intel(R) Active Management Technology :
Device Instance Path : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B67&SUBSYS_00378086&REV_06\3&11583659&0&B3

Hope this is what you wanted to know...

One question regarding this, in the "Property" screen under "Port Settings"Tab, clicking "Advanced" Button gives a screen where there is "COM Port Number" and next to it a Drop-down list showing COM6 to COM19(in use) but COM1 to COM5 without "in use"; What about manually selecting COM4 or COM5 for Arduino Uno??

Will this affect proper functiong of the computer?

I've attached an image of this for you..

Thanks.