i am sorry!!!

ok then, if you're going to teach me - then teach!

Some demonstration of willingness to learn would be appreciated.

taking a break here so i can go look at some links..

Ruffsta:
i'm not afraid to put my time in and my skills. i coded for years making websites, vb 6.0 and making a few simple ds games.. i have soldering experience..

i may have not touched coding in a bit.. i just need some help when it comes to something new! so please don't talk down to me or treat me differently. how many of you can say you made a ds game? or made a website for a major store? or made any pc software? ok then, if you're going to teach me - then teach!

You are right I have not done that, I have done much bigger, complex and important things

Ruffsta:
taking a break here so i can go look at some links..

ok! It was good fun :grin:

Some demonstration of willingness to learn would be appreciated.

i did that when i first came here and the other forum.. kinda ran out in that dept when a bunch of people give me different bits and incomplete bits of information

a bunch of people give me different bits and incomplete bits of information

That's where experience and willingness to learn and filter come in helpful.

What "other forum" ?

ps,

never asked for anyone to "draw me up a "schematic" - but somebody could have pointed me to one that suits my project.. i haven't come across one as of yet - but hey, i'm not the one teaching am i?

have you learned about a single led and resistor yet? then take that and span it over 300 led's, your going to encounter more problems along the way but we can address them as they come up. You got to take some initiative and figure some of this out instead of carrying on this idea that someone is going to personally devote their life to hold you by the hand in every single moment of your project.

Ruffsta:
ps,

never asked for anyone to "draw me up a "schematic" - but somebody could have pointed me to one that suits my project.. i haven't come across one as of yet - but hey, i'm not the one teaching am i?

So your frustration has to do with us not having a schematic at-the-ready to post for the exact specifications you are looking for?

but hey, i'm not the one teaching am i?

There you go again with the "teaching" thing.

What do you understand by the term "forum"?

Read the datasheet for WS2803, develop your code from there.

maybe this teaches you something....GOOGLE !

https://www.google.com/search?q=rgb+led+schematic+arduino

that will be 5 dollars for the teaching leasson

CrossRoads:
100 RGB LEDs, you can control 6 each with WS2803 with full color fade control, just need 17 chips if you don't want to muliplex them.

Available on e-bay (only place I've seen them in fact)
ws2803 for sale | eBay
and only from 1 place in Niagara Falls, NY

Have read that WS2801 library is similar to what's needed for WS2803.

Or just wire up a chain of 100 of WS2801, and send out the 100 pieces of information needed for each RGB LEDs color based on your user input.

this was helpful, thank you.. but i was actually thinking of multiplexing them.. not sure if that's the way to go tho.

I'd suggest starting with 1, get the resistance values figured out for your particular RGB LED, get some basic code to work to understand the datasequence needed, then build up from there.
To multiplex, you will need banks of PNP transistors or P-channel MOSFETs to control the voltage to the parallel'ed LEDs.
What kind of architeture were you thinking? 'x' banks of 'y' LEDs using 'z' WS2803s?

just pm'd you about that.. :slight_smile:

Me too!!! I'm sorry, help!!!

Last summer, I bought an adjustable wrench. I want to build an engine, or a small transmission. But I don't have any clue about cars.

i'm told what i want to accomplish is not an easy thing.. how can it not be - they are just freaking bolts!!!

What he needs is not difficult - just 13 MAX7219's and 400 2-color LEDs, or 2 LEDs wired together as a 2-color LED.
Each MAX7219 driving 32 LED pairs. Piece of cake. No PWM needed.

Perhaps you should inquire on reddit.com/r/vxjunkies

The VX crowd might be able to offer some insight into this problem.

I have a late 90s VX2, still works great, never saw the need to upgrade.

--creatrope

What is "VX" in this context?