Bluetooth w/ HC-06 (slave mode)

I'm building a project and I simply want to output my serial monitor out to my Android via bluetooth. I purchased HC-06 which only has slave mode (hc-05 has master/slave).

1. Am I able to use HC-06 for this kind of application?
  2. How would i send serial monitor to my phone?

Thanks!

1. HC-06 may not work with Android. You may need to use HM-10. It has to do with the type of serial link that it creates.

2. You need to initialise the BT device using AT commands on a serial link (or use the default parameters if that makes sense). You should probably use something like SoftwareSerial to create a new port if you don't have spare hardware ports on your Arduino hardware. The BT device is just a transparent wireless serial link. On your phone you will needto open a program to receive and display what is being sent.

marco_c:

1. HC-06 may not work with Android.

Not true. It will work just fine

1. You need to initialise the BT device using AT commands

Not true. It will work just fine as it comes out of the box. The default speed is 9600, and you may never need to change anything

You should probably use something like SoftwareSerial to create a new port if you don't have spare hardware ports on your Arduino hardware.

Only true if you want to use more than one serial device on an Arduino with one serial port, and not usually a good idea. IF you are simply looking at using Arduino as an interface between PC and phone, i.e. a rather pointless intellectual exercise, and you are not using a Mega, then using software serial is an option. If you want to send via bluetooth data accumulated by Arduino that is currently going to serial monitor, you don't need software serial. And you don't need any special code either.

The BT device is just a transparent wireless serial link.

True.

You might find the following background notes useful

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/GUIDE_2BT.pdf
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/BT_2_WAY.ino