Straightforward burn custom bootloader

Hey guy...

I would like to know an easy way to burn a custom bootloader...

The bootloader (MIDI firmware): http://hunt.net.nz/users/darran/weblog/5b7f8/Arduino_UNO_USB_MIDI_firmware.html
What a have:

• USBtinyISP
  • Arduino Duemilanove

Why I'm asking an easy way:
Well, Arduino IDE has an option called "Burn bootloader", which is great, ready-to-go solution. I was wondering if I could just swap some files in Arduino dir with this custom midi boot and press "Burn bootloader".

Thanks!

That's firmware for the ATmega16U2 of the UNO or Mega2560, so it's not for the main processor but the coprocessor, that handles the USB to serial conversion. So you need to use the ICSP header just beside the USB connector on the UNO board. A Duemillanove does not work with this software because it does the USB2Serial in hardware in an FTDI chip.

Damn, I was imagining that the FTDI would be an issue...
Reprogram the FTDI looks impossible...

Well, I think I will back to "MIDI USB Cable Converter PC to Music Keyboard Adapter" which is cheap and easy solution...

Thanks

Reprogram the FTDI looks impossible...

The FTDI chip isn't reprogrammable.

Depending on what you exactly want to achieve, a Leonardo or Micro might be an alternative because both use the ATmega32U4 processor which integrates USB, which means you don't have to care about reprogramming a coprocessor and the protocols between the main and the communication processor but you can have everything in one sketch, controlling everything.

pylon:
Depending on what you exactly want to achieve, a Leonardo or Micro might be an alternative because both use the ATmega32U4 processor which integrates USB, which means you don't have to care about reprogramming a coprocessor and the protocols between the main and the communication processor but you can have everything in one sketch, controlling everything.

Hi pylon, thanks. I will buy one to test!

Thanks