[MOD] Arduino Enhanced Release 1.0.5 for Windows (installer, drivers, etc) +SRC

Using his sketch, it seemed that bringing up the serial monitor does not reset the Arduino like I am normally see.

I changed the sketch, and I can see the message if I get the monitor open before the first delay() is over. After the delay is over, the monitor does not reset the board so, a reset is required.
EDIT: this is with version H on windows 7.

Altered the first delay to 5000.:

int sleep = 500;
void setup()
{

Serial.begin(57600);
  delay(5000);
  Serial.println();
  delay(sleep);
  Serial.println("Code to Replicate ArdunioERW Serial Monitor Bug.");
  delay(sleep);
  Serial.println();
   delay(sleep);
  Serial.println("Serial Connected");
  delay(sleep);
  Serial.println();
}

void loop()
{
}

cyclegadget:
Using his sketch, it seemed that bringing up the serial monitor does not reset the Arduino like I am normally see.

I changed the sketch, and I can see the message if I get the monitor open before the first delay() is over. After the delay is over, the monitor does not reset the board so, a reset is required.
EDIT: this is with version H on windows 7.

Altered the first delay to 5000.:

int sleep = 500;

void setup()
{

Serial.begin(57600);
 delay(5000);
 Serial.println();
 delay(sleep);
 Serial.println("Code to Replicate ArdunioERW Serial Monitor Bug.");
 delay(sleep);
 Serial.println();
  delay(sleep);
 Serial.println("Serial Connected");
 delay(sleep);
 Serial.println();
}

void loop()
{
}

Yes but the reset is not something I am trying to keep, that's more like a bug of the official IDE due old RXTX lib

Without that reset, after an upload, the serial monitor does not behave in a consistent manner (on my PC).

Some times it behaves and prints what you send to it, sometimes its blank, and other times I see this..

Lakes:
Without that reset, after an upload, the serial monitor does not behave in a consistent manner (on my PC).

Some times it behaves and prints what you send to it, sometimes its blank, and other times I see this..

You renamed avrdude2 right?

The serial flush is handled by the wrapper now, not the ide (the wrapper checks if the port is working or 'hang'), can you test installing the last version? I can add some kind of "old" emulation mode token for the preferences, but I need to see if other users are getting the same issue

I seem to remember there being quite a few 'features' with the arduino and resets,
and various versions of the boards have various hardware fix's.

dont know, but could it be that you both have different versions of the boards ?

just a thought.

now if you were part of the official arduino team, you might get lots of hardware,
we can but hope you get adopted by them soon,

eried:

Lakes:

You renamed avrdude2 right?

The serial flush is handled by the wrapper now, not the ide (the wrapper checks if the port is working or 'hang'), can you test installing the last version? I can add some kind of "old" emulation mode token for the preferences, but I need to see if other users are getting the same issue

The only thing I`ve changed is the prefs file as stated in a previous post, no other file has been altered.

You want me to install version 1.0.1h? (just to be clear as to what I`m doing).

This is great, I was having a lot of issues opening the tool menu and this looks like it solved a lot more than that. Thanks!

Lakes:
You want me to install version 1.0.1h? (just to be clear as to what I`m doing).

That one also uses the avrdude wrapper, I will love to see another machine/user having the same problem. I just need to find the root of the issues. The serial monitor is rather simplistic, it only dumps the text arduino sends so really I am clueless right now.

drjiohnsmith:
I seem to remember there being quite a few 'features' with the arduino and resets,
and various versions of the boards have various hardware fix's.

dont know, but could it be that you both have different versions of the boards ?

just a thought.

now if you were part of the official arduino team, you might get lots of hardware,
we can but hope you get adopted by them soon,

Hehehe of course free hardware is always good, but I don't think it works that way. I have couple boards (like 12 or so) but still no leonardo or due to test (I haven't required any of these)

mr_sparks:
This is great, I was having a lot of issues opening the tool menu and this looks like it solved a lot more than that. Thanks!

You are welcome! that's the idea :smiley:

Works fine with Hyperterminal.

A couple of times now the IDE has frozen while uploading.

Not getting an error message when the incorrect board is chosen.

I can reproduce the second problem, the missing error message. I think my wrapper is eating more than he should, I will check this.

For the serial garbage problem, still clueless :smiley: if you can identify something I can replicate here, or maybe connect with you via remote desktop to debug the issues, I certainly will be able to fix those issues too!

Also I was thinking on make the precompiler to detect "Serial.begin(number)" to set the monitor speed, it seems very dumb to set manually the speed everytime after you get garbage, or even maybe autodetect the bauds speed. First alternative seems easier, but limited (i.e. if you use #define PORTSPEED... or a variable in the begin)

Is the serial monitor "built-in" or could it be an external program?

The idea would be to have an option to start an external program like HyperTerminal or putty when the IDE serial monitor is selected.

I think this is a good idea, because you have more options to clear the screen etc in a "proper" terminal program.

Lakes:
Is the serial monitor "built-in" or could it be an external program?

The idea would be to have an option to start an external program like HyperTerminal or putty when the IDE serial monitor is selected.

I think this is a good idea, because you have more options to clear the screen etc in a "proper" terminal program.

The problem is what happens if the serial port is opened in the other app, should the IDE also terminate the other process? or control it via DDE (if possible), so at the end it is just what it seems: a fully external app

What happens is the IDE tells you that the com port is already in use and asks you if you want to terminate the other App. :slight_smile:

Lakes:
What happens is the IDE tells you that the com port is already in use and asks you if you want to terminate the other App. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it is doable but it breaks a lot of things :confused: I will have to add options how to define the arguments for the new app (maybe in the preferences) putty.exe /open:xxx, and rewrite my wrapper to detect if the port is opened by another app (maybe scanning processes/recurses) instead of disabling the device and re-enabling it (for failure scenarios) so it is certainly doable, but I don't see really the improvement vs opening the third party serial monitor as a separated app. (Conclusion: Maybe for a future improvement)

Some things I am working on now:
-Performance of the IDE, I upgraded the JDK to last one, this allowed me to change the hack for the blurry icon with a clean function. Also I upgraded the arduino.exe file with the last launcher4j 8)

-Setup size is now even smaller! 35 MB due the new JDK (you can compare this to the >160 mb zip of the prerelease IDE for the Due)

I will try to fix the wrapper problem with the errors now.

Update 2012/10/26

• 1.0.1i 20121026: Java JDK updated to last version. Launcher compiled with last launch4j. Pretty icon for Windows 7 now uses a cleaner approach (no jdk hacks). AvrDudeWrapper now redirects output and error messages properly to the IDE.

So this means, anyone can use now avrdude.exe (wrapper) exactly as it was avrdude2.exe in any application. :slight_smile:

I think application is very mature right now, I will have to start porting the changes to the new IDE instead of updating this 1.0.1 version.

Can you include an option to reset when the Serial monitor is started?

The original IDE does this and so does Hyperterminal (I don`t know how Hyperterminal does it, but I always see the first Serial.prints when Hyperterminal is started).

Thanks.

Lakes:
Can you include an option to reset when the Serial monitor is started?

The original IDE does this and so does Hyperterminal (I don`t know how Hyperterminal does it, but I always see the first Serial.prints when Hyperterminal is started).

Thanks.

Maybe if you left autoclear checked I can clear the serial monitor too on every opening?

Autoclear checkbox restarts the arduino?, sure that`ll work for me. :slight_smile:

I am giving up this version of IDE. I was very excited to have something which is fixing most annoying errors of the original IDE. Downloaded installed and started the first project with dallas thermometers. After very painfull debugging I couldn't even compile the sketch.

I was getting errors which gave completely no clue where the problem is. After several attempts I have landed with a bunch of errors like "variable or field declared void" - for all functions in the example project and gave up.

There must be some changes in the compiler or something which is rendering example projects from OneWire.h and DallasTemperature unusable. I don't know what with other sketches but after opening this in original IDE problems disapeared.

damago1:
I am giving up this version of IDE. I was very excited to have something which is fixing most annoying errors of the original IDE. Downloaded installed and started the first project with dallas thermometers. After very painfull debugging I couldn't even compile the sketch.

I was getting errors which gave completely no clue where the problem is. After several attempts I have landed with a bunch of errors like "variable or field declared void" - for all functions in the example project and gave up.

There must be some changes in the compiler or something which is rendering example projects from OneWire.h and DallasTemperature unusable. I don't know what with other sketches but after opening this in original IDE problems disapeared.

Original IDE = which version? 0023? or 1.0.1

I am sorry if you are having problems, but there is no much differences in the core of this one vs the official. For the other side, I can listen and fix the issues if there is a way to replicate them.