C Programming for Arduino / The book

Hi there,
I'm currently finishing a book for PACKT PUBLISHING.
You can check the website:
http://cprogrammingforarduino.com

I hope you'll like it.

It will be a nice helper beside my courses I'm providing for Art Schools students, especially.

many questions come up:

In what way is the book different from existing books?
Can you post the table of contents?
What is the level of your audience?
Languages?
What will be the price?
Why do you have a forum around the book? Arduino.cc is alive and kicking !

Thanks

You need to find someone with better photographic skills :slight_smile:

Rob

Hey guys,

I guess you won't be interested yourselves by the book but I bet your open mind can understand a bunch of people can be.

Answering in the text at the first Rob.

In what way is the book different from existing books?
I always think that unique thought concept was dangerous. One and only one book per topic, one and only one idea per project etc
Because we are all unique (even if you don't think that about yourself, you are!) PACKT PUBLISHING thought about me as a nice way to introduce and develop great skills and my own ideas about interaction design and art in this book.
And yes, you'll have the choice. This is a new proposition, a new approach by one guy :slight_smile: Don't try to think it is a bad idea before to know the guy, to see the book, to check what people want.
You can read a nice & cool interview made by Arduino Blogs here:

Can you post the table of contents?
I will very soon. PACKT has some rules about that.
Please be patient and subscribe to the newsletter to be informed by me (not packt)
I still didn't send any news from that preferring to keep the mailing list quiet and useful.

What is the level of your audience?
If you already wrote a book, you know that you have to know about your audience a bit before to write it, yes.
People who don't know C/C++ can read the book and code stuff at the end.
It is a big book, taking you from te beginning to medium advanced stuff like gLCD, VGA modules use, but also making your Arduino a MIDI responsive synth producing 8bit sounds and reading PCM. We also see how to create our own small library.
I introduce and play with Processing and Max6 in the book in order to open mind to very used frameworks too. I quote a lot of open libraries like MOZZI, and I can say I'm so happy because these library authors/devs are really happy to be quoted in that book.

Languages?
English first.
My reviewers are so good :stuck_out_tongue:
I'm french and can do that in french and italian too but my editor would take care of translations for me.

What will be the price?
Check PACKT PUBLISHING other books for that.
It will exist as ebook too, of course.

Why do you have a forum around the book? Arduino.cc is alive and kicking !
This was more intend for starting the small website around it.
When you'll read the book, you'll see how much I'm forwarding for "further ideas and ressources" to this forum here.
I'm almost sure the forum there won't be used but I'm proposing it.
Propositions are never bad, aren't they?

Answering to the other Rob about the funny notice about photographies :slight_smile:
Don't worry, I'm using some nice pictures for the book and especially I'm using intensively (and teach how to use) FRITZING. Guys there at FRITZING seem very happy to be quoted too, btw.

Thanks a lot for your ideas & answers here Rob & Rob.

Thanks for the extended answer.

I like these lines :
It is a big book, taking you from te beginning to medium advanced stuff like gLCD, VGA modules use, but also making your Arduino a MIDI responsive synth producing 8bit sounds and reading PCM.
I introduce and play with Processing and Max6 in the book in order to open mind to very used frameworks too.

A lot of questions here on the forum are about communicating with PC etc. It is good to spend some pages on that issue.

I won't subscribe on the newsletter, I'll hope to see the TOC here someday.

Succes!

As you wrote, Arduino can also communicate a lot with its cool friends like computers, other Arduinos etc.
I'm especially very comfortable with Max6, using it since Max4, and I couldn't not to use it in the book.

For any questions related to Arduino with Max, Processing, etc, please fire questions and I'll do my best to answer asap :slight_smile:

This is a new proposition, a new approach by one guy

But what is that new proposition, that new approach? Your explaining the scope of the material doesn't answer that....

This book is a new proposition.
I'd suggest to quietly wait for TOC etc.
That will come.

But what is that new proposition

The book is written by julien bayle someone which (I assume) is not primary a programmer of electro guy and therefor I expect he describes the Arduino more from an Art point of view. What can it do, without reciting the technical specs. End result is far more important than optimal coding solutions etc. Mind you most artist know their requirements (WHAT) way better than most engineers. And yes, engineers know more about the HOW, (ying and yang in balance again pffff :wink:

@Julien,
Please, correct me if I'm wrong in my above assumptions.

Mind you most artist know their requirements (WHAT) way better than most engineers

Nah..... they just throw paint at canvas until no more sticks....

I'm formerly engineer, but artist.
I'm also a dad and love David Lynch.

People aren't only one thing, aren't they?!
This is that profile, made of personal characteristics that makes us unique.
But I can understand you'd need to now WHAT I am, artist, engineer, amateur, pro, etc. Some people needs that before anything else.

But I can understand you'd need to now WHAT I am

No,
the "engineers" over here want to understand the delta between your book and what is already on the market.

engineers call it the difference
marketeers call it a USP
sales call it added value
venture capitalist would call it a secret
artists call it a new dimension
spock would call it interesting
kids would call it Wow
etc...

that difference (oops I'm an engineer) is the main question

You'll be smart enough to enjoy the difference, I'm sure about that.

julienbayle:
You'll be smart enough to enjoy the difference, I'm sure about that.

We're also smart enough to know that we need to see the difference before we part with any money.....

That seems an empty discussion.
You'll check, you'll see, and you'll choose. Everything works like that.

Someone proposes something.
A lot are interested, a lot aren't.

But I won't try to convince you for sure :slight_smile:

Of course it's an empty discussion- you told us about a book about which you can tell us nothing.

When there's a TOC and hopefully an e-sample, then we'll have a look.

Right now, an empty discussion on a lazy Friday while I'm on leave from work, works for me!

EDIT.... it is Friday isn't it?.... I get confused about the days of the week at this time of year!

I get confused about the days of the week at this time of year!

haha me too. But beware for some TZ's Saturday already started, so asking for the day on an international forum seldom works :slight_smile:

I'm about to send the first newsletter on next night (GMT+1)
I will announce the summary of the #arduino #book that will be published early April 2013.

Feel free to join the newsletter:
http://cprogrammingforarduino.com/newsletter

I've had the chance to review a few pages of Mr Bayles book and was impressed enough to 'borrow' the tablet it is on...
Although to prove once and for all to one and all that I have no class whatsoever is for me to say that I also enjoyed Arduino Cookbook Vol 1 & 2, Some of the drawings.. left a little to be desired But IMO strictly it should be required reading for all beginning students of Arduino... and a few too many not so newbie's too.
Every book has it's reader just as you can't hear until you can hear nor see until you see. Education comes where one finds it and his attempt will surely find a mind or two ready to understand what they read rather than read that which they understand.
My real education began 50 years ago when I quit school and went to "Make My Fortune".. Never made a fortune, never quit studying and I enjoy every minute of it..

Bob

And here it is coming ...