Arduino Uno interfacing with PC Engine's WRAP?

Hi all,
I am a great fan of Arduino and the great many projects, although this is my first time dabbling with the board.

I have a Wrap.1E2 (PC Engines wrap1e103 product file) and would like to take serial output from this and process it using Arduino board over a serial connection. The arduino will then trigger certain outputs based on the input taken. So in effect the arduino would act as a serial terminal - could this serial data also be logged to the PC connected to the Arduino?

Sorry if these questions are incredibly stupid! I have attempted to do this alone, without bothering any poor arduino devs/hobbyists. I know that the Tx/Rx pins of the Arduino board are TTL rather than RS232 and so i would need a level shifter - i am working on a schematic for a diy shifter rather than forking out for an 'official' shield. As a side note, would i be able to connect the Wrap's usb breakout board to the Arduino too?

Thank you for your help! I'd have NO idea where to begin without the resources on this website.

antwan:
Hi all,
I am a great fan of Arduino and the great many projects, although this is my first time dabbling with the board.

I have a Wrap.1E2 (PC Engines wrap1e103 product file) and would like to take serial output from this and process it using Arduino board over a serial connection. The arduino will then trigger certain outputs based on the input taken. So in effect the arduino would act as a serial terminal - could this serial data also be logged to the PC connected to the Arduino?

Sorry if these questions are incredibly stupid! I have attempted to do this alone, without bothering any poor arduino devs/hobbyists. I know that the Tx/Rx pins of the Arduino board are TTL rather than RS232 and so i would need a level shifter - i am working on a schematic for a diy shifter rather than forking out for an 'official' shield. As a side note, would i be able to connect the Wrap's usb breakout board to the Arduino too?

Thank you for your help! I'd have NO idea where to begin without the resources on this website.

I don't know exactly what a Wrap is (other than some kind of embeddable motherboard/cpu); but if I was tackling this project, I would think all you would need on the Arduino side would be to interface via software serial (and the level converter) to communicate with the board, and use the standard USB virtual serial port interface (hardware serial) on the Arduino to communicate with the PC.

As far as the level converter is concerned - before you spend too much time hacking up your own, take a look into the (obsolete) serial Arduino board schematics here:

If you download the PNG schematic (version 2), to the left is the DB9-based serial interface, which uses a couple of transistors and a handful of simple passives to make a usable level shifter. This may or may not be easier to build than something based around the MAX232, but if you don't have that IC in your kit, you likely do have a couple of small NPN and PNP transistors, plus the rest. A similar circuit was used on a version of the Parallax Basic Stamp 2 module kit; I put together that kit when I was first starting to use microcontrollers, and it worked well, so I would imagine this circuit would too.

Good luck; hope this helps... :slight_smile:

Thank you so much!

I wasn't sure if I had correctly understood the Arduino's software serial functionality - thank you for clearing this up.

I will post more detail further into the construction, but this project is a multifunction NAS and Media Server device - I'm hoping to modifyvthis in future to serve as the hub for a multi room home entertainment system.

I have purchased some electronic components to make a level shifter - only cost £2.69 including spares and shipping!

Thanks again,
Antwan