Loop Back Test - Sticky?

Are the instructions basically the same for a mac?

Yes.

Will this test verify the operation of an FTDI board/cable without an arduino, just by jumpering the RX to TX lines?

Yes.

Hi,
Would it be good to include a photo of an Arduino with the two jumpers clearly in position?

I'd need to find some Red or Yellow wire....

Sounds good to me. If you make an image, please try to keep it less than or equal to 320 by 240.

Hi CodingB, I'll shoot it soon...

Work well. :smiley:

These directions don't appear to be universally applicable - specifically to the Micro and Leonardo correct? If not how to?

Peter

pwhalley:
These directions don't appear to be universally applicable - specifically to the Micro and Leonardo correct?

They are universally applicable to boards that have USB-to-serial converters.

The instructions will not work for a Micro or Leonardo.

If not how to?

How to what?

pwhalley:
These directions don't appear to be universally applicable - specifically to the Micro and Leonardo correct? If not how to?

Peter

The sticky test was developed to be able to test just the functionality of a on board USB serial converter chip, independently of the AVR controller chip being used on the board, for boards that have separate USB and controller chips. On boards that use a AVR controller chip that have built in USB connectivity there is no need for this test.

Lefty

I did it. It worked (eecchhoo)
I`m having a: "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" with a NKC Freeduino V2.2 on Ubuntu Studio 13.04
Thanks for the tip. Now I know my serial rig over USB is working.
Best Regards
Jose Angel Mora

thanks for the info

Did not understand setup #7 "Connect the terminal application to the serial port of your board" I was using Sketch.....Serial Monitor.

Serial Monitor is a terminal application. It will work fine for the test.

Is there a loop back test for the Arduino Mega 2560? I don't see a reset pin on it. My tx1 and rx0 are on two different sockets. Unfortunately rx0 is on the ftdi that I use to connect to my PC.

"Start your favourite terminal application. Serial Monitor will work fine."
What would be a terminal application and how do I monitor the Serial Monitor on the Mega 2560?

I also have a Arduino Uno that I uploaded a sketch to and I ran fine so I'm assuming it's working ok. Does this loop test tell me more about my Uno that I would like to know? I have a reset pin and a tx1 and rx0 on the Digital pins. But again, not to sound stupid but what would be a terminal program and how do you hook up a serial port to test with.

Unfortunately rx0 is on the ftdi that I use to connect to my PC.

That's the point

I also have a Arduino Uno that I uploaded a sketch to and I ran fine so I'm assuming it's working ok. Does this loop test tell me more about my Uno that I would like to know? I have a reset pin and a tx1 and rx0 on the Digital pins. But again, not to sound stupid but what would be a terminal program and how do you hook up a serial port to test with.

The loopback test is to verify operation of the USB/serial chip. If it works there is no need for it

smeezekitty:

Unfortunately rx0 is on the ftdi that I use to connect to my PC.

That's the point

Are you referring to a Mega 2560 board?

According to the instruction, my PC even cannot connect my leonardo device . my PC can not find the serial port .PC have no sound(my PC speaker turn on)

its not working ..what should do?