Serial communication failure when using power supply

Problem is back from the dead again :~

Though it's not occurring nearly as frequently, it's still happening. I've noticed a lot of "serial noise" on the arduino through the fact that it executes a command occasionally. The command is executed upon receiving a "0" over the serial stream. Yes, probably not a good idea for that to execute a function, so I should change the code for that.

Some interesting things I've noticed:

• My desktop PC randomly powers itself up when shut off. I suspect this is related to the same EMI issue that is causing the arduino to get serial noise and corrupt the com port in windows. Wake on LAN is not turned on. Probably some kind of EMI causing the ATX power on signal to go high. Solution right now is turning off the switch on the ATX power supply.

• The serial noise sometimes corresponds with an inductive load (mini fridge) cycling. This fridge is on the same circuit but a different outlet in the room. Might be related perhaps.

• Sometimes the serial noise occurs when the PC has been powered off and I then switch the ATX switch to on.

Wish I could track this down. I don't have a scope, and suspect in order to really get any further I'd need one. I will try taking the mini fridge off that circuit, however, and see if that makes any difference.