Ethernet Shield R3

Hello,
I have an arduino ethernet shield r3 on an Arduino Leonardo. When I connect the shield with an raspberry pi all works fine. But when i try to connect with an Netgear WNDR4500 it does not work.
It shows that a cable is plugged in and on the shield the LED's are flashing but nothing else.

The WNDR4500 is a wifi router with gigabit switch on the back.

My code is the standard webserver code from the Arduino software.
The mac adress in the code is changed to the mac labeled on the shield.

Any ideas???

What does "does not work" mean?

Which version IDE are you using? I want to insure I am looking at the correct example.

I suppose the Ethernet 1Gbps ports are compatible with the Arduino Ethernet Shield.
Did you try DHCP ? For that, use the 'mac' as only parameter for the begin() function: Ethernet.begin( mac);
Do you have the newest Arduino IDE version 1.0.6 or 1.5.8 BETA ?

The Arduino IDE is 1:1.0.5+dfsg2-2 . Isuppose that I accidentally used the version from the ubuntu repositories. Is there such a difference?

I checked the DHCP, too. But it does not work. Even in the router menu the shield does not show up. DHCP starts from 192.168.1.10 so there is room for manually set ip's from 2..9.

I tried two different cables. Both do not work.

Strange....
You could test the newest Arduino IDE, but if that doesn't work I don't know what to do. Do you have more routers to test ?
I had timing issues in the past, but I tested the same devices this week and now my timing issues are gone. So I assume that the Ethernet library has been updated.

Remove all Arduino and also the Java rxtx from the repositories.
Download the tgz files of version 1.0.6 and 1.5.8 BETA. Unpack them somewhere in you home folder. I use a "My Programs" or "prog" folder for my local applications. Make shortcuts to the 'arduino' files. When you set the same project folder for your sketches, you can start the Arduino version that you want to use.

They need a minimal Java environment to run. The 1.5.8 BETA version depends less on Java, so I prefer that one.
I installed a single dependency package for Java, I think it was "default-jre".
When I check what is installed, it is : default-jre, default-jre-headless, java-common, and others.

You say it worked okay when connected to your Pi but not your router. Was it a direct cable connection to the Pi or through a switch? Normally to connect network devices ad-hoc you use a crossover cable that is differently wired to a cable used for connection to a switch/hub. Some smart switches (and maybe the Pi) detect crossover cables and work with them but a lot don't.

Thanks for the replies!

So i programmed it again with 1.58 on ubuntu and mac. Both did not worked on the router but on my ubuntu computer (the macbook got no ethernet port).

It were patchcables. But i tried two different. But today the ports are all automatically switched.

Now something new. It works on my computer but only with power over usb connection. When I'm using a 9V Battery (the cubicle ones) it does not work. But the LED's blink and all seems normal.

So according to the routers LEDs the shield is connected. If something is connected the LED is green if gigabit and orange if 100Mbps. But ist does not show up in the router menu with connected devices.

I read something with Gigabit and too big network packegs. but these posts are two or more years old.

suehprom123:
Now something new. It works on my computer but only with power over usb connection. When I'm using a 9V Battery (the cubicle ones) it does not work. But the LED's blink and all seems normal.

A 9v transistor radio battery does not supply enough current to power the ethernet shield. I like Lipo batteries myself. Not as cheap, but will work.

Those packages of the gigabit could be a problem ?
Can you change the router settings ? To lower the speed to 100Mbit for testing ? Or try using a second router for the Arduino.

That battery is indeed to weak to power an Ethernet Shield.

That is my Problem. I can not find a possibility to lower the routers speed. I have to look for another router. So other got the shield working with gigabit routers. So it should be the routers fault and not the shields whihch is obvously working.

The router detects the shield but does not show it in the menu. Weird.

I will look for another switch/router and try it again.

If you are still using the 9 volt battery, you can buy as many routers and switches as you can afford, and the result will not be any different. The 9 volt battery will not power the ethernet shield. Period. End of Story.

Thanks SurferTim. I mentoined the 9 V battery because i expected another behaviour of the arduino and the shield. I programmed AVR's in the past with assembler and there are mechanisms lik brownout detection etc.. But my experience with arduino is relativly new and I wondered if somebody got the same or similar observations.