Our very own extention?

I know this was a popular topic on google code, but I thought I should bring it up here.

Arduino sketches need their own extensions, e.g.: .duino or .arduino

yes yes yes. Agreed!

There was a discussion on this topic here: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1248240393

Oh please please please... (I guess I want this...)

Agreed. It would be useful to not share a file extension with Processing sketches. Often there are components of a project for both apps, and it would be nice to have each launch its own correct IDE.

.andy

Can I also add my vote for this.

.ard could be a good canditate in keeping with the tradional .3 naming conventions

.ino might also work, in the spirit of the various *duinos out there.

Why not .rdn ? (aka aRDuiNo hebrew style)

Seriously, It doesn't really matter what extention really is used IMHO
Just live with .PDE....

Othewise the arduino team could have changed the pin spacing to 0.1" on the board top ;D

It doesn't really matter what extention really is used IMHO
Just live with .PDE....

try using Processing (Arduino's sibling environment) and see how easily you can live with clicking on sketches and have the wrong environment come up.

Agreed. I commonly name processing files similar names to my Arduino files, and it kills me because I can't figure out what the file is for :P.

try using Processing (Arduino's sibling environment) and see how easily you can live with clicking on sketches and have the wrong environment come up.

Ah! I see!

I never used Processing in my own projects so far. I assumed it uses another extention. So it is not the case obviously

Is this the same case with Arduino's nephew Wiring?

Wiring predated Arduino so its more uncle than nephew.

Wiring does use the same extension

This is something I'd like to do for 1.0, and also one of the reasons that I think the 1.0 name is useful. It's a non-backwards compatible change, but one that's small and useful.

I'm leaning towards .ade for the parallel with Processing and .pde, but .ino is tempting too.

Which one doesn't really matter too much, I think, as long as it != .pde. :slight_smile:

Personally, I like the parallel with Processing also, even though I have no idea what the "de" stands for -- Development Environment ??

Of course, in Italian, "Arduino" was the name of a king (as well as the bar in Ivrea), but the "ino" suffix is also signifies the diminutive.

.andy

yeah well as stated in the other forum topic mentioned above, .ade is used already so I think .ino would be just fine :slight_smile:

Mowcius

This is something I'd like to do for 1.0, and also one of the reasons that I think the 1.0 name is useful. It's a non-backwards compatible change, but one that's small and useful.

I'm leaning towards .ade for the parallel with Processing and .pde, but .ino is tempting too.

Adding a configuration switch in the preferences would be handy to control this behaviour in case backwards compatibility is needed.

.ino seems reasonable to me.

As for backwards compatibility, just allow the program to read .pde's as well (so that we can still open our old code, of course) but make .ino (or whatever you choose) the automatic extension when saving new files (and re-saving old ones, that way all the code one already has will eventually come to have the new extension).

Its a simple text file, so whatever name you gave to it, it will always be possible to open the file usando the arduino ide, or any other editor.

Its a simple text file, so whatever name you gave to it, it will always be possible to open the file usando the arduino ide, or any other editor.

Yes, I used to open mine with wordpad when I was away from my computer but as I have to have my flash drive with me to open the sketches, I just keep a copy of the IDE on there now :wink:

Mowcius

ino --> Inno Setup Script

PLEASE use a file extension longer than 3 characters.