Robocup

Hello!
I'm building a soccer playing robot for the Robocup competition - and I need help because I never worked with Arduino.

First I'll buy this chip:

(I would like to know what is the second board?)
And battery holder:

I would also like to buy those sensors:
4 x Distance (US) -

2 x Infrared Sensors like this. (The ball is a IR emitter, is this the best sensor to locate it? do I need a better one?)

1 x Compass (Is this a good one? Any other recommendations?)

1 x (Probably) a driver for 4 DC motors

4 x DC Motor

Now:

1. Are those the best sensor types for what I need? If not, can you recommend others? (from here or DX)
  2. MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: Is this everything I need to build this robot? (Do I need any other drivers/thing to connect the sensors and motors to the Arduino Mega??)
  3. What is exactly the difference between Servo and DC motors? What is the best one for my needs? How do I connect it to the Arduino Mega?
  4. As continue to the motor we chose on question 3 - Which omni wheels I can buy on this site that will fit in to it?

Thanks!

Yes, one post was sufficient, the duplicates have been deleted.
DO NOT CROSS-POST, IT WASTES TIME.

AWOL:
Yes, one post was sufficient, the duplicates have been deleted.
DO NOT CROSS-POST, IT WASTES TIME.

Sorry couldn't be sure what is the correct forum to open it in.

You could have asked.

AWOL:
You could have asked.

sorry :stuck_out_tongue:
BTW your pic looks like a dalek's eye

your pic looks like a dalek's eye

Sigh.

AWOL:

your pic looks like a dalek's eye

Sigh.

lolz
Can you help me with my questions? :smiley:

I'm building a soccer playing robot for the Robocup competition - and I need help because I never worked with Arduino.

That implies to me that you have have worked with robocup players before - what sensors and processors did you use before?

AWOL:

That implies to me that you have have worked with robocup players before - what sensors and processors did you use before?

Unfortunately, only with NXT.
And now because I completely understand you believe I'm an immature moron I will tell you a little bit more about myself:
I'm 16 years old and a very good programmer, actually, I started studying at the biggest university in my country for Computer Science B.Sc (2 days a week instead of school and after school).
But to earn knowledge I chose to study Robotics at my school yet our lab is very very small and we have no normal equipment,
So my teacher gave me permission to order better equip for my robot only: the problem is that I never worked with this kind of equip before and have to include everything I need at one order because the shipping time is long to my country.
hope that sums it up.
Sorry for the 5 minutes I just took from your life lol

What are the rules and constraints of the robocup competition?
These may help you narrow your choice of hardware requirements.

AWOL:
What are the rules and constraints of the robocup competition?
These may help you narrow your choice of hardware requirements.

The robot has to fit in a round tube with a diameter of 22cm and height less than 22cm (at its largest optional movement of any component)
and it cannot sabotage competitor or hold the ball in a way other robot cant release it in any way.
Every team (I'm a full team XD) has 2 robots: goalie and attacker - Because I am better at programming than I'm at building I will build them the same and just let them run with different programs.
The ball emits IR signal.

And, How can I give power to the motors?

And: what is better (price,performance,accuracy,speed) - DC or Servo?

I will chime in about the IR sensor and maybe that will get the ball rolling.

Is this soccer game going to be outside? I ask because the IR sensors either photodiodes or transistors will not work outside because the amount of nearIR light in ambient outside light will probably saturate the sensor. In the event the sensors is not saturated the IR from the ball will probably be far less than that from the sun and the signal may get lost.

You might want to put more thought, or show us that you have thought about, a project if this magnitude before asking us to provide that many general questions. Google works real good for a lot of general questions and forums for finer points.

wade

wwbrown:
I will chime in about the IR sensor and maybe that will get the ball rolling.

Is this soccer game going to be outside? I ask because the IR sensors either photodiodes or transistors will not work outside because the amount of nearIR light in ambient outside light will probably saturate the sensor. In the event the sensors is not saturated the IR from the ball will probably be far less than that from the sun and the signal may get lost.

You might want to put more thought, or show us that you have thought about, a project if this magnitude before asking us to provide that many general questions. Google works real good for a lot of general questions and forums for finer points.

wade

Inside, yet maybe near windows or cameras.