Cannot Upload to Board?

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 3,490 bytes (10%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.

Global variables use 67 bytes (3%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1,981 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM3": Access is denied.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

I do not understand this. Please Help!!!!!

Try the Loopback Test, posted at the top of this forum, to see if the USB/Serial adapter on the board is working correctly as a first stop.

COM3 seems awfully low also.

I use COM3 and it doesn't create any problem to me. The problems might be:

1. Improper installation of the driver.
  2. COM3 might be blocked. To unblock it open the USB Block Software on your PC/Laptop and allow the usage
    of COM3 on your device.
  3. You may be experiencing a problem with the Arduino if your's is a clone.
    4.There might be a problem with the bootloader in the IC. Try bootloading PROPERLY.
    5.Is your Arduino an Uno? If no "CHANGE IT IMMEDIATELY"

Have you tried rebooting your computer?

Also, are you sure you have selected the correct port in the IDE? Check in 'Device Manager' to see which port the Arduino is connected to.

And I forgot to ask - was it working previously, or is this the first time you've connected it?

I have an identical problem. Cannot upload to Genuino Uno - it is installed on COM5 and I get the message : avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM1": Access is denied.

Strange - why does it want to hook up to COM1 as the device manager indicates Arduino (Genuino) is hooked to COM5. Seems there is a problem somewhere in one of the librairies.

Running under Windows 10 with Arduino arduino-1.6.5-r5-windows. I tried the very latest release and 1.6.4 - exactly the same problem.

I could not determine what COM1 is hooked up to nor how to change the boards assignement from COM5 to another port.

Yet the board does seem to be correctly hooked to the computer - green LED on and amber LED on/off once per second.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,
Michèle

micheled:
I have an identical problem. Cannot upload to Genuino Uno - it is installed on COM5 and I get the message : avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM1": Access is denied.

Strange - why does it want to hook up to COM1 as the device manager indicates Arduino (Genuino) is hooked to COM5. Seems there is a problem somewhere in one of the librairies.

Running under Windows 10 with Arduino arduino-1.6.5-r5-windows. I tried the very latest release and 1.6.4 - exactly the same problem.

I could not determine what COM1 is hooked up to nor how to change the boards assignement from COM5 to another port.

Yet the board does seem to be correctly hooked to the computer - green LED on and amber LED on/off once per second.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,
Michèle

You've set the port to COM5 in the Arduino IDE under "Tools"?

Should have bought a Mac but at three times the price for the same processor and memory I balked. This is to say that all of a sudden for no apparent reason Arduino suddenly works. I fiddled with installing and removing Arduino software, disconnecting and reconnecting Arduino until at some point when looking at peripherals in the device manager I could not find Arduino any more. All there was was 'unknown device' with a registry like set of numbers, on which I could not get any info. When clicking on this unknown device nothing happens. This unknown device remains whether Arduino is connected or not. Yet the Arduino IDE did tell me that there was an Arduino connected to port com5 but it no longer shows up in the control panel device manager. Oh well, I tried again and low (spelling?) and behold, it worked. I actually changed the blink rate on the example - yes, it did work. I have no idea as to what I did for it to get it to work. I can now create programs and upload. For how long, only Bill Gates knows.

And now a word about Windows 10. I originally bought an ASUS portable with an Intel Core 7 to get 4 cores running, under Windows 8, then 8.1. I was really happy since I came from Vista and you all know what misery that was. So I purchased a few programs and one day Microsoft offered an update to Windows 10, FOR FREE. Thats's a first with Microsoft. I went along with the offer and was happy to install Windows 10....... UNTIL I tried running Photoshop Elements 13 which I had installed under Windows 8.0/8.1. When clicking on the PE 13 icon nothing happened. The task manager did tell me that there was a PE 13 process running but that was no good to me - the screen was desperately empty. And when testing other programs I found that several did not run any more - no error message - just nothing. So I contacted Adobe and finally after a few exchanges they suggested I create a new account with administrator privileges. I told Adobe support that the only account on the system did have administrator privileges, which is the one I created when I bought the machine and first logged in. They said perhaps but, and they were polite, but insisted on my doing as they said, which is to create an account which I called Adobe, with administrator privileges. I now have two accounts, the original account when I bought the machine, and this new one. Both have administrator privileges. Surprise, surprise, PE 13 did work in the new account, and so do the other programs which had stopped working. As for the Arduino IDE, it only works in the new account. It seems that the second account has more administrator privileges than the first one. Explain that!

The above being said, I cannot find an explanation as to why Arduino did not upload when everything seemed correct as per installation and control panel/IDE software info and now that the device manager lists an unknown device, after much fiddling, Arduino does work.

I've been working with PC's all the way back since DOS 3.0 and the original IBM PC (remember blue screens!), somehow Microsoft has not yet managed to get its act completely right. I would move to Apple but I do not like their way of locking one in into their system and I particularly dislike iTunes.

Tha

Micheled

Most programs on my win 8.1 machines run fine after I did the upgrade to win 10. Only one that didn't work because the software company didn't do any upgrade on the software. If I were you, I'd get a new hard drive and install win 10 fresh. You can only do that once you made the 8->10 upgrade. Ignore all requests for product ID and once you boot up and have internet, your install will be validated. I've done that with one computer + upgrading to SSD. Now the 3yr old comp is snappy! Will do the same to another computer.