Time-to-resistance value program?

I apologize to the forums i think i posted this in the wrong place originally. I need a project built for me, I don't have the understanding to do it myself. Below is the description:

Hi all. I am interested in a device for my guitar pedal board that i'm hoping someone can help me with. i'll do my best to explain, but i'm very much a programming novice:
I basically want to tap my foot on a switch, either opening or closing a circuit, and have the arduino calculate the time between the start of 2nd to last tap and the start of the last tap. the arduino would then need to convert the time calculation to an output resistance (between 0 and 10k I believe) based on a table or other calculations- I haven't actually determined the relationship yet. the physical taps would not be constant but the resistance would need to stay constant from the last 2 taps until more taps were introduced. I would also like for the board to provide a sync'd LED showing me the time between the last 2 taps. There is no audio going through this signal, it is just an input on my device that receives a resistance value from a potentiometer for controlling values on a chip in the device.
this next part is me explaining it like a guitar player:
I have a Line6 FM4 pedal. The pedal has an expression pedal output that can control the speed of the effects, but there is no "tap tempo" available, which is very difficult to acheive with an expression pedal. some of these effects are very synchopated and sound great when pulsing in time with the music, but sound bad when out of time with the music. since I play live and not to a click track, i have to be able to set adjust the tempo at any given time to correct it to the tempo we are playing a that particular moment. the device i'm looking for will replace the expression pedal (basically a resistor that is adjusted with a footpedal) with calculated settings based on tapping a switch.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!