Alternative to clock crystal.

Hello,
I am trying to set an arduino on a breadboard (http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Standalone) and was wondering if there is any alternative to using a clock crystal? The reason why I ask is that my local electronics store doesn't have them and I do not want to have to order online (b/c shipping is too expensive).
Thanks in advance,
Jared

if your able to change the fuses you can run the chip using the internal 8Mhz oscillator

if your able to change the fuses you can run the chip using the internal 8Mhz oscillator

How do change the fuses?

You need and ISP. Then you can change them with avr studio or with avrdude from the commandline. In the second case google for "avr fuse calculator". With regard to the meaning of the fuses: the definite guide is the datasheet.

Can also use resonator. Will not be as stable timing wise but will work.
I am using this guy:

Can also use resonator. Will not be as stable timing wise but will work.

I think I will try that. I have a small bag of resonators from a grab bag I got and may find what I am looking for before I buy anything. The only problem is that I am not sure what the markings mean. XD
thanks,
Jared

Take some very clear pictures and post here. Lots of smart people here on this board to help out.

Take some very clear pictures and post here

I have tried before, but cannot put any pictures on.
Here is an example of one: 271
100v
I know the latter one is probably a voltage rating, but I'm not sure what the first is.

oscillators are 3 pin packages, what you discribe is a capacitor

Osgeld:

Yup, three pins in a row, usually poking out of a yellow or blue blob. Rat Shack may still carry them, if so, use a 16MHz one for easiest compatibility with existing Arduino board configurations. Also have a look at the RBBB arduino from modern devices, it's as bare as it gets.

No, it has three pins. Also, I remember reading somewhere that the exact value (16 MHz) of the crystal doesn't matter. If this is true, what is the margin of error (for lack of a better word) and does that also apply to oscillator as well.

jaredpi,

If you do not have the correct resonator in your grab bag let me know and I will drop a couple 16 MHz resonators in an envelope for you.

wade

If you do not have the correct resonator in your grab bag let me know and I will drop a couple 16 MHz resonators in an envelope for you.

Thanks a lot for the offer, but I was recently looking at some other threads and found out about dipmicro (Electronic components - dipmicro electronics) and the shipping is so inexpensive that I will just order from them.
Thanks,
Jared

I have both clock oscillators at 16 Mhz as well as 16 Mhzcrystals, Your local store Mar Vac's usually doesn't have anything... I have been shopping there for 25 years. I live at State College and Ball Rd and I can leave them at the 7/11 (one block from my house) and you can pick them up... Free. I do have a lot more than I will ever use... in the rest of my life time. I need to tell you that these parts are new and unused and I get them for free from a contact I have in Shenzhen China...

Doc

Thanks a lot for the offer Docedison, but I ordered one about 2 hours before you posted (another example of Murphy's Law).
Thanks,
Jared