best soldering iron to buy

I bought a European Hakko 936 (220VAC) for about $50.00 US from Electrodragon. Except for the case it is identical to the 888, uses the same tips, irons, connector, and controller. There's no "Custom" IC for the controller (uses an LM358) and since I needed a mains isolation transformer I decided to buy a 110V - 220V step up transformer/1 -1 isolation transformer. The whole cost me $70.00 US and I got both a great soldering iron to replace my 15 year old Hakko 926 which is still working well and a nice isolation transformer. I've replaced one heater in it in 15 years. I used the Weller WTCP series for 20 years and probably changed at least 20 thermal switches. Perhaps the variable Wellers are a good choice compared to the earlier non variable (replace the tip to change temp) devices. However when I look back at the history of the Wellers vs the Hakko... I'll keep both my old one and the newer one and buy an extra iron for $11.00 to $12.00 and available from several sources and be done with it. I bought a set of 10 tips for the iron for about $1.00 Ea ($9.95, Free Shipping) From Bosity or Uxwell (Same store, Bosity's Ebay).

Bob