An Attiny85 I/O Network

strykeroz:

dritchie0042:

strykeroz:
What was the reason for multiplying the regulators? How many ATTinies was that to run?

Well, how many Attiny85's can I run on a single regulator without risking overheating it? Perhaps that is also an input question as well.

I choose 4 regs., for 4 micro processors because it was a safe assumption and guaranteed all would be "fed" properly. I want all Attiny's to have an output of 4+v.

The ATTiny85 has 200mA as the absolute maximum current across VCC & GND pins (section 21.1 of the datasheet) so if you're using a basic LM7805 linear voltage regulator which can output 1.5A the answer is "at least 7". In reality that is the absolute maximum consumption, which would be achieved when the output pins of the ATTiny are being used to source power (up to 40mA each) and wouldn't be where the uCs are comfortable operating for long periods. As noted above, it would be preferable the LEDs are fed power directly and the ATTiny is used to control rather than power them.

I would expect one voltage regulator to have covered 4x ATTiny85 with lots of headroom. The question of heat is a factor of what voltage you're regulating down from also. The higher the input voltage, the higher the power that is converted to heat by the linear regulator.

Cheers ! Geoff

The ideal would have leds and other loads not draw their operating power through the MCU's at all. That's what resistor-transistor pairs or driver chips are for.

My UNO has a regulator that gets -bypassed- when operating on USB power. It is only there for when I want to run from higher voltage sources which so far has been never. My Teensies don't have regulators at all and they work just fine.

You best choice is to make the regulators part of the power system. 3 Tiny's on a socket certainly don't call for 3 regulators. 3 bypass caps maybe but not 3 regulators.