Wiznet module & e-mail ..

Hi all,

Is there any way to use the Wiznet Ethernet module to launch an e-mail to, perhaps, 2 or more e-mail adresses?

Any and all help is much appreciated

CharlieD

Googling 'wiznet pop3' turns up a few hits.

Thanks for that ... some reading & learning to do .... i was hoping someone had already gone down this route with Arduino & Wiznet card

OK, I have read stax, but haven't yet seen any mention of anyone launching e-mails from a Wiznet or similar card, there are quite a few who use the Wiznet to queery an e-mail server to get the number of e-mails waiting - that sort of thing.

What I would like to achieve, is get my Arduino/Wiznet combo to send me an e-mail when some-or-other parameter (voltage) is past a pre-defined threshold .... sounds simple, but evidently not so ...

C

Search the forums for "SMTP" -- there are a number of hits and some good stuff.

A lot depends on how picky your SMTP server is. If it needs TLS, the Ethernet shield/WIZNET is not going to cut it.

The code in the below discussion should work.

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1235534880/15

Here's my experience:
Most email servers now require authentication. "Open" servers -- that don't require authentication -- are now black-listed (rightfully) by most other servers as sources of spam. I believe that authentication is probably beyond the capacity of an arduino.

The exception I have noted is that some ISP's will allow you to send email without authentication if you are inside their network and are using an email address that they host. An example that I know works that way is verizon.net.