Go Down

Topic: 3D Printer (Read 651 times) previous topic - next topic

sethwilliam

Hey guys,

I want to get into 3D printing and I was about to buy a reprap guru I3 Prusa V2 off of amazon for $290 and assemble it myself. However, a friend recommended I buy one off of aliexpress instead.

I'm a novice when it comes to 3D printers but I believe I want to get one of these two

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32677798453.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.Maq6iq

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/200-280-200-Large-MK3-auto-leveling-Aluminium-Extrusion-3D-Printer-kit-printer-3d-2-Rolls/2010004_32597036180.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.8wjLjS

I am leaning more towards the "flying bear all metal" one as it looks much cooler and seems to have great reviews (the other one does too)

The main difference between the two and the factor that I'm stuck on is the print size.

The metal one has a print area of
220x220x280

while the other one has a print size of
200x280x200

I will be printing long parts so the latter is very attractive in that respect, however if I got the former I could always print the parts "up" so that I had that same 280mm room but in the z direction though I'm worried it could be a bit unstable if I were to build thin parts.

Do you think it could work though?

Robin2

You will get much better advice about that on the RepRap Forum.

The Arduino Forum is primarily for helping people write their own Arduino programs.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Chagrin

The Tarantula's track system seems ... inappropriate. They're using wheels that will be riding on a rolled edge of the standard, aluminum 20x20 extrusion they're using. Compare to the Openbuild V-Slot extrusion which has a wider rolling surface.

The FlyingBear looks better with more tried-and-true linear guide systems. It looks like it has a mechanical setup nearly identical to my FlashForge Dreamer (aka Dremel Idea Builder) which I'm sure was cloned from a Makerbot somethingorother. The first thing I'd do, however, is stiffen the sides; seems like pressure on any corner could knock the whole thing out of whack.

Both seem to be using very standard RepRap electronics and firmware. I suppose that's not necessarily a positive or a negative. Not very refined but you can find replacement parts easily.

On the whole what you're doing here is just buying "parts". I'd suggest you also take a look at the Monoprice line of printers; they don't have the 280mm build size but they're assembled and do get very good reviews.

sethwilliam

The Tarantula's track system seems ... inappropriate. They're using wheels that will be riding on a rolled edge of the standard, aluminum 20x20 extrusion they're using. Compare to the Openbuild V-Slot extrusion which has a wider rolling surface.

The FlyingBear looks better with more tried-and-true linear guide systems. It looks like it has a mechanical setup nearly identical to my FlashForge Dreamer (aka Dremel Idea Builder) which I'm sure was cloned from a Makerbot somethingorother. The first thing I'd do, however, is stiffen the sides; seems like pressure on any corner could knock the whole thing out of whack.

Both seem to be using very standard RepRap electronics and firmware. I suppose that's not necessarily a positive or a negative. Not very refined but you can find replacement parts easily.

On the whole what you're doing here is just buying "parts". I'd suggest you also take a look at the Monoprice line of printers; they don't have the 280mm build size but they're assembled and do get very good reviews.
Yes, I am willing to put the time in to assemble these if I were to get one.

I have seen Monoprice printers before and looked at them, if I were to get one of them it would be their maker select V2/Plus model as it is about the same price as the FlyingBear except it's already completely assembled and through Amazon though the build area is smaller.

Go Up