RFID 13.56MHz R\W Shield (Mifare cards)

I didn't respond to this post but I did subscribe cos it looks interesting. I am currently trying to find out what frequency ricoh printer toner cartridges are as they have RFID on each one :slight_smile:

Free RFID tags!
(but only 4 different ones and I need a reader)

Mowcius

also Nabaztag use rfid 13.56MHz tecnology
http://www.violet.net/_nanoztag-the-programmable-RFID-rabbit.html
They are Srix and not Mifare (similar protocol) but we cold do same kind of applications.

I was under the impression Nabaztag were dead - the parent company folded.

I was under the impression Nabaztag were dead

I know.. and it's time to do a Nabarduino !!! :smiley:

Y'know if nabaztag were still going I'd have got one of them instead of my arduino.

I wanted something computer oriented but different. So glad I ended up with my arduino :slight_smile:

I was also interested in what you are doing, but all I saw was a level shifter. What is the description of the RFID board you are using? I didn't see a link.

(I'm using a module from Omron that is also 13.56MHZ that reads and writes iCODE cards. Do you happen to know if Mifare card could be read?)

this evening i will update the first post with all information of the project.

This is the data sheet of MIFARE module.
I can also use other modules for:
SRIX
ICODE
The modules are from an italian reseller, i don't think it send single products worldwide...

Here you can found the mifare 1k datasheet

This is the symple test i coded for testing:

#include <NewSoftSerial.h>

byte select[] = {0x02,
                 0x00,
                 0x04,
                 0x04,
                 0x00,
                 0x00,
                 0x02};
int rxPin = 3;
int txPin = 4;
int gndPin = 5;
int powerPin = 6;
int ledPin = 7;
byte readVal = 0x00;

NewSoftSerial mySerial =  NewSoftSerial(rxPin, txPin);

void setup() {

pinMode(powerPin, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(powerPin, HIGH);

pinMode(gndPin, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(gndPin, LOW);   

pinMode(rxPin, INPUT);
  pinMode(txPin, OUTPUT);

pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);

mySerial.begin(9600);
  Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {

delay(300);

int i = 0;
  for (i=0;i<7;i++) {
    mySerial.print(select[i],BYTE);
  }

digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);
  while (mySerial.available() > 0)
  {
    readVal = byte(mySerial.read());
    Serial.print(readVal);
    if ( !(readVal == 0x02 ) && !(readVal == 0x00 )){
      digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
    }
  }
  digitalWrite(powerPin, HIGH);

}

And i found an open source project for RFID reader, it cold be interesting to convert into arduino shield!!

Please don't despair, it just takes some of us longer to find the interesting bits of information.

I am VERY interested in what you are doing here and will be following this thread eagerly. I have a need for a cost effective RFID solution using HF or UHF and this seems promising.

What I have discovered so far about RFID is that the readers for low frequency are inexpensive but the tags can be pricey. HF tags, on the other hand, can be quite cheap but the readers are $$.

If this DIY reader can work with the inexpensive RFID label tags then it would be a perfect solution for what I am planning.

you can use the OMNIKEY 5513 reader for about 30? (LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You)

What is the maximum free air space range of this?

I am hoping to see if the Receiver Antenna could be integrated into the base of hte drivers seat, with the RFID tag in, say, a wallet in pants pocket providing driver identity.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I have JUST found a use for RFID... namely in a car to detect "who" is sitting in the driving seat. The ultimate aim is to be able to tailor the interior mood lighting, seat position, window settings (I ALWAYS drive with the window 3" open at least and my wife doesn't) and a few other things (non-critical) car related all controlled via ARduino.

What is the maximum free air space range of this?

i thik is about one inc. Some seller said better values, but it always wrong.

Now i paused the project beacause I haven't time, but i will complete as soon as!

bye.

you can get 1-2cm reading distance in free air, nothing more when keeping the transmission power within the legal limits...
but with a lot off power you could get something around 1m

for distance you need UHF tags, they go easily to 5m with a tag the size of a credit card...

D2k2... I'm thinking of an automotive application, where a "chip" is held on the person in something that triggers the immobiliser. Get out of the car, and the car is immobilised (with a 5 minute time delay of course)

The receiver could be hidden anywhere where it's not obvious (under roof lining, etc)

that would be an UHF tag, but the readers are more expensive there... (around 250? for the skyetek m9 for example)

but they are also a lot smarter, quite all can tell you the signal strenght to the tag, what is also related to its distance from the antenna. so you could estimate if you aproach the car or leaving it ::slight_smile:

what about your project? It is going on? I've found some chip
I'd like to develop a shield for my arduino2009 reading a mifare 1k serial number and then use it with a pc connected with arduino.
First I have to buy my rfid mifare reader but I'm a bit confused on what reader buy.

Tanks in advance

The two chip are
this chip:

or:
http://www.rfid-webshop.com/shop/product_info.php/info/p613_OMNIKEY---5513-Reader-Core-Mifare-Easy.html/XTCsid/hyhaiktb
but I don't know what is better buying.

they look about the same from the specs...

look at the protocols, and take the one whats easier for you to implement :wink:

I love the project. Most rfid cards in use today are Mifare. Oyster is a good example.

Can I ask where you got the card reader form and if you have a part number thanks. (Sorry i missed your 2nd post.)