Arduino Uno, Proto Screw Shield & Motor Shield Stacking

Hi

Can someone please look at the picture and confirm that this connection setup will be safe with regards to the specific power supplies for each board...? I recently bought an arcade joystick and would like to use it to control the forward and backward rotation of my stepper motor. I first used a thumb joystick breakout board for prototyping purposes, but I would like to enclose my project into a box and start using it and therefore I bought a better joystick for the actual finished project.

When I tested everything with the thumb joystick, I had no external power supply connected to the motor shield board and the Arduino Uno got its power from the USB cable connected to the computer. I also did a test with regards to power supplies by cutting the Vin pin extension underneath the motor shield so it can draw powr from its own source which is a regulated 12VDC, 1000mA. The Arduino was hooked up to an unregulated 5VDC, 2000mA. At this point no joystick was connected merely just to test the power supplies and the motor seems to be working perfectly although the motor shield board heats up quite a bit.

So now I want to incorporate my joystick into the mix but I need to make sure that it won't short out something.

Please advice.

Thanks

Ian