Automotive Topic?

I would like to request an Automotive topic be added to the main Topics category. There isn't a lot of Automotive related projects which I think is a shame. I would really like to hang out in a Automotive topic to read everything anyone has done with an Arduino and their car. I've already searched for Keywords "Automotive" and it came back with a 17 pages... which I read every single topic on every single page. Would really like to start an Automotive Arduino community as we have unique issues we have to deal with compared to other environments.

So we just ignore the fact that the data sheet says the. Processor should not be use for automotive applications then?

How about a life support section? Something else the processor should not be used for?

Does it? I didn't read that anywhere that it shouldn't be used in Automotive. I've watched a lot of youtube videos on Arduino and this is news to me. I've seen plenty of videos where it's used in Automotive so it can be used successfully. The whole reason I bought it was to use it for Automotive. :frowning:

Even if the processors were approved for Automotive use I would be strongly opposed to creating another section. There are already too many and Newbies, especially, are confused about where to ask their questions.

Also it is rare to find a Thread which does not touch on more than one topic - project design, hardware and programming, for example.

And in all probability techniques from another subject area would be relevant to an Automotive application and vice versa.

In my opinion, and I have said this before, what is needed is the ability to attach tags to Threads (like is done in StackOverflow) so that you could find relevant material easily regardless of which section the Thread is in. It would also allow a single Thread to be found using any of several tag names. The list of possible tags needs to be managed to avoid misspellings and overlapping meanings - e.g. Automotive and Vehicles should not both be allowed.

However experience has taught me that whoever manages the forum software development has no interest in what the Forum users think since they never participate in the Forum.

...R

DJDevon3:
Does it? I didn't read that anywhere that it shouldn't be used in Automotive.

From the datasheet:

Atmel products are not suitable for, and shall not be used in, automotive applications. Atmel’s products are not intended, authorized, or warranted for use as components in applications intended to support or sustain life.

(Admittedly, last page, small print.)

JimboZA:
(Admittedly, last page, small print.)

Thanks for your dilligence. I had looked, but not there.

It's almost as if they didn't want anyone to see it - strange. If I was writing the document I would put it on Page 1.

...R

Well not intended or recommended use be darned. I'm going to use it for that purpose anyway. Even if I blow it up oh well. I've done a lot of research on how to build a nice clean regulator to power the board. Also researched on how to pull down sensor data to manageable level. Yes there's always a risk but I think that's part of the fun.

I understand the whole "just because you can doesn't mean you should" mentality of the chip manufacturers. They can't be responsible for it blowing due to unpredictable power conditions. If I take care of that first I should be ok. I'm not pioneering ground here most of what I want to do has been done before. This is a great example.

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. It's obvious why there isn't an automotive section now. That makes me sad though. I mean it says on the box it can make any dream a reality. They should put in very fine print below that "except your automotive or life support dreams".

I appreciate the time everyone has taken out of their day to look up spec sheets and answer this topic. It's appreciated.

DJDevon3:
Even if I blow it up oh well.

I suspect the bigger question is what damage or injury the car might cause when the chip blows up. Cars burn very nicely even if the chip is not part of the driving control system.

And if YOU use parts in direct contravention of the manufacturer's advice your car insurer won't be happy.

...R

the best cars to burn are porsche the are only a couple of pieces left an they burn in about 5 mins

Robin2:
If I was writing the document I would put it on Page 1.

To quote Monty Python's Whizzo chocolate assortment sketch, "I think it would be more appropriate if the box bore a large red label, "Warning, Larks' Vomit".

JimboZA:
To quote Monty Python's Whizzo chocolate assortment sketch, "I think it would be more appropriate if the box bore a large red label, "Warning, Larks' Vomit".

I presume the apostophe after the s is intentional ???

...R

Well yeah, it would be the vomit of more than one lark.

edit: Although this source has it as 's not s'.

It's only for monitoring it's not driving anything. Input only no output control. I don't see what the big deal is for something like that. No relays involved or anything complex.

Input only no output control.

Input from what?

DJDevon3:
It's only for monitoring it's not driving anything. Input only no output control. I don't see what the big deal is for something like that. No relays involved or anything complex.

Maybe send an email to Atmel ?

...R

You have to assess the safety factors if something goes wrong. What if the driver makes a decision based on a faulty report?

What Atmel are saying is that if anything goes wrong they are not culpable even if the actual fault was down to something you can pin on them.

The blame for this sort of thing lies clearly with the U.S litigation culture where common sense flies out of the window. Sadly this is spreading to the U.K. We are not up to U.S levels yet but we are getting close.

In get text messages regularly saying that they know exactly what compensation I am due from my recent accented ( I haven't had one). And I get phone calls from people trying to persuade me to sue my previous employer for hearing loss because I am down as an engineer and that has to be noisy doesn't it?

Well no electronics labs are very very quite, and hearing loss it from too many loud gigs.

I understand Atmel's stance but that doesn't stop people from trying new things and creating new projects. I was just hoping that there would be a forum topic just for automotive so that maybe someday we can all figure out the power issues and what works. I'm not talking about feeding 12v directly to the Arduino or something stupid like that. It's a power problem yes but this is electronics and everything has a solution with good design. Isn't that part of engineering? I just find some of the responses here ridiculous to say I can't do something because a spec sheet says they don't support it. Are you kidding me? Isn't voiding warranties what communities like this are all about?

Isn't voiding warranties what communities like this are all about?

Maybe. But its for voiding warranties without bragging about it, or asking how to void warranties.

We all have to start somewhere. :slight_smile:

Personally, I don't think Atmel's disclaimer on automotive use is a real reason for not having an automotive section of the forum, even though I take strong exception to this assertion:

Isn't voiding warranties what communities like this are all about?

But that's a discussion for another day.

It could well be that some use of a chip in an automotive setting isn't what Atmel had in mind. Is using an Arduino powered from a car lighter socket to measure the temperature, automotive use? I think they mean uses where failure of the chip could have life-threatening consequences, like in a braking system, or if someone automated the car steering.

To me the reason not to have an automotive section is that I think most automotive questions already belong somewhere else, like in Sensors, or Displays or whatever. Maybe the OP could scour the forum and PM those members who have an automotive bent, and suggest (say) that automotive posts get [Automotive] in the title. Then the rest of us will see the post in say Sensors, and the automotive fraternity can do a search every couple of days, looking for that tag in the title.

Okey dokes, me off to work, 530am here and someone has to keep the wheels of commerce turning.....