Go Down

Topic: Please upgrade your Yún - latest is 1.5.3 (Read 38596 times) previous topic - next topic

ShapeShifter

Read the upgrade notice at the bottom of this page: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/extroot

The expanded system is an instance of a pivot overlay as described on that page. From my read of it, you may be better off redoing the disk space expansion after an upgrade?

jessemonroy650

Feb 18, 2015, 06:01 am Last Edit: Feb 18, 2015, 08:39 am by jessemonroy650
REMOVED CONTENT.

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

jojje3000

Hi Yunistas  ;)

Is it 1.5.3 I get when cloning the GitHub repository OpenWrt-Yun, master branch
at https://github.com/arduino/openwrt-yun

Thanks in advance.

Angelo9999

Hi Yunistas  ;)

Is it 1.5.3 I get when cloning the GitHub repository OpenWrt-Yun, master branch
at https://github.com/arduino/openwrt-yun

Thanks in advance.

Hi jojje3000,
No, the Github repo is always a work in progress so it contains changes done after the 1.5.3 release.
https://github.com/sngl

Clemens

I downloaded and installed the latest version 1.5.3 from the common Arduino download page http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software. Some indicator shows that I got a newer version (e.g. the Wifi led light u after Linux boot) but I wanted to check the exact version. I tried

Code: [Select]
cat /etc/banner

as described under "What version of OpenWrt do I have installed?" at http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/faq/after.installation . But it seems that the yun version has a modified header and it does not show the version number.

How can I find "1.5.3" (or later) and what command do I have to use?

jessemonroy650

::::SNIP::::

as described under "What version of OpenWrt do I have installed?" at http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/faq/after.installation . But it seems that the yun version has a modified header and it does not show the version number.

@Clemens,
Versioning is not a strong point. Here are two data points. Someone else may have more.

Jesse

root@Arduino:/etc# cat arduino/openwrt-yun-release
built=Fri Nov 14 03:53:51 CET 2014
root@Arduino:/etc# uname -a
Linux Arduino 3.3.8 #1 Fri Nov 14 08:57:34 CET 2014 mips GNU/Linux

ShapeShifter

Frpm a previous discussion of the topic: (and also in reply #5 of this thread  ;) )

If you've just bought a Yun, it's likely you're running the old linino image or OpenWrt-Yun 1.0
To get a more precise answer, log in via ssh or yunserialterminal, then type command

cat /etc/arduino/openwrt-yun-release

If files does not exists, then you running Linino. If it exists, it will print a date: compare it from the list of date in the changelog.

Clemens

Ok, thanks! As always it is not as easy as thought but it works, I get "Linux Arduino 3.3.8 #1 Fri Nov 14 08:57:34 CET 2014 mips GNU/Linux". I was confused about 1.5.3 vs. 3.3.8 and OpenWrt-Yun vs. Linux Arduino vs. Arduino Yun Linux OS (last two the same?).

Pauly

Trying to upgrade and it's not working quite right.  Probably just me not used to Linux or using a Terminal.
Used the Web Panel method and everything seemed to go fine.  
Now it seems like the Yun has no WiFi signal as I can't connect to it using a browser either trying arduino.local or 192.168.240.1.  I could connect in a browser before.  If i tried to find it using Bonjour I don't see it.
It shows up in the IDE as a serial port only.  

I can connect to it using YunSerialTerminal, but for some not my Macs terminal.  I tried SSH to it, but it times out.

I was going to try the upgrade again in YunSerialTerminal. But entering run-sysupgrade /mnt/sda1/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-yun-16M-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin does nothing.

Typing ifconfig I get the below which looks ok. 
root@Arduino:/# ifconfig
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 90:A2:DA:FB:18:4E 
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:4

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:6240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:6240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:424320 (414.3 KiB)  TX bytes:424320 (414.3 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 90:A2:DA:F3:18:4E 
          inet addr:192.168.240.1  Bcast:192.168.240.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:20 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:3606 (3.5 KiB)

root@Arduino:/# 
How can I get the WiFi back?
Appreciate any help I can get.

jessemonroy650

Trying to upgrade and it's not working quite right.  Probably just me not used to Linux or using a Terminal.
Used the Web Panel method and everything seemed to go fine.  
Now it seems like the Yun has no WiFi signal as I can't connect to it using a browser either trying arduino.local or 192.168.240.1.  I could connect in a browser before.  If i tried to find it using Bonjour I don't see it.
It shows up in the IDE as a serial port only.  

I can connect to it using YunSerialTerminal, but for some not my Macs terminal.  I tried SSH to it, but it times out.

I was going to try the upgrade again in YunSerialTerminal. But entering run-sysupgrade /mnt/sda1/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-yun-16M-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin does nothing.

Typing ifconfig I get the below which looks ok.  
How can I get the WiFi back?
Appreciate any help I can get.

@Pauly,
What's going on is that you need to re-read the upgrade instructions. But more importantly, when you do this the YUN will be connected to the Internet. That means it will connect to your home (or office) wifi router (which connects to the Internet). Then you must also connect to it - otherwise you are both on different networks. From appearances, you may NOT be connecting to the Internet.

If you are connecting, you should be able to see the Internet from your YUN. You might want to test that first. That means logging into the YUN (via ssh) and testing your connection to the Internet.

If you are NOT connecting to the Internet, please start a new thread so we can resolve that issue.

TIA
Jesse

Pauly

Thanks Jesse.  I'm starting a new thread.

SirHacksALot

I have a Yun shield that is the Iduino Yun WiFi shield.  It has a USB port and a LAN port.  It is running the Linino from Jan 6, 2015.  I'm pretty new, so I am unsure if your recommendations to update the Yun to version 1.5.3 apply to the yun shield as well, or just the arduino yun.  The shield connects to an Arduino Uno, which I have a V3 connected to it.  The Uno has a power plug attached and supplies power through the shield pins to the Yun.  The information on the site says that the shield talks to the Uno through the UART.

web site here:
http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/index.php/Iduino_Yun_Shield

I dont want to mess up the Uno under it, or the shield itself.  Can someone confirm for me if the shield follows the same process as the arduino yun upgrade process and if I should execute the upgrade process on the shield.

ShapeShifter

I'm pretty new, so I am unsure if your recommendations to update the Yun to version 1.5.3 apply to the yun shield as well, or just the arduino yun.
The discussion in this thread is about the version of OpenWRT that has been customized for the Yun, which is an official Arduino product.

Your shield is made by another company, and while generally functionally similar, it may or may not be 100% compatible with this firmware image. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of your shield for details.  

cmoze1

Please someone help. I'm trying to update the OpenWRT-Yun image on my Yun. I've tried the webpanel, but the reset button doesn't appear. I've tried the Terminal, but I really have no clue what I'm doing there. I followed the steps, but this is what I get:

root@Arduino545:~# run-sysupgrade /mt/sdal/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-yun-16M-squash
fs-sysupgrade.bin
cp: can't stat '/mt/sdal/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-yun-16M-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin': No such file or directory

I really want to get this Yun working. Please respond in terms that a general computer use would understand.  Thanks so much!

Go Up