LumiNet (based on attiny84)

Is there info posted someplace that I can't seam to find on how to get ATtiny85 support in the Arduino 018 IDE? PLEASE!!!

I googled for you guys... try this if you need to use a mac and want to use my IDE: http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#macupdate

Arduino0018 is working ok with the tiny2313 core, did not try LumiNet with it... I will continue to use my modified Arduino0014 IDE with LumiNet, because it includes a special "programming by infection" bootloader that is not supported by the official Arduino IDEs.

attiny85 support: use my modified IDE and create (copy LumiNet core) a new core. Then edit the pins_arduino.c file and maybe some others and it should run. Some more details on how to create a new Arduino core are described in my thesis on luminet.cc

I will add the luminet examples there soon... please ask again next week.

Thanks for the reply, I found and tried the "Open in 32 Bit Mode checkbox" Java fix with your modified Arduino0014 IDE before I posted the first time here, and it did not solve the error for me... That is why when I read that 018 may have support, I start looking at 0018 as an option since it runs without error...

I will have a look at you thesis. I'm hoping the process of making the needed changes is not way over my head since I have only been playing with programing for about 2 months...

Thanks for your time.

P.S. The error I get when in 32 bid mode is "Uncaught exception in main method: java.lang.NumberFormatException: null"

nice project, how i can put it in power down mode? can work on 3v?

Arduino0018 is working ok with the tiny2313 core, did not try LumiNet with it...

have you figured out how to put the core in the sketchbook folder?

did not try 0018 yet...

3V is ok...

I explained the sleep function in my diploma thesis... please look it up. I also compare power consumption of LumiNet and Arduino boards there (page 66+67)... here is an example sketch:

#include <avr/sleep.h> 
void setup() 
{
  set_sleep_mode(SLEEP_MODE_PWR_DOWN); 
  sleep_enable();
  sleep_mode();
}

and please check your boards.txt if you get the Java exception. I had no problems with my modified IDE on any of our macs in 32bit mode.

For those of you who live in New York or plan to visit NYC in march:

you can have a look at the luminet jackets there! I will not be there but save the date!

modified Arduino0014 (LumiNet edition) throws the following exceptions... I will have a look at it...:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Applications/Luminet/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib: no suitable image found. Did find: /Applications/Luminet/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
[LaunchRunner Error] processing.app.Base.main(String[]) threw an exception:
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Applications/Luminet/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib: no suitable image found. Did find: /Applications/Luminet/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/librxtxSerial.jnilib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1861)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1778)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1045)
at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.(CommPortIdentifier.java:83)
at processing.app.Editor.populateSerialMenu(Editor.java:928)
at processing.app.Editor.buildToolsMenu(Editor.java:812)
at processing.app.Editor.(Editor.java:193)
at processing.app.Base.(Base.java:149)
at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:104)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:115)
at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:50)
at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at processing.app.Editor.message(Editor.java:2350)
at processing.app.Editor.doStop(Editor.java:1545)
at processing.app.Editor.doClose(Editor.java:1575)
at processing.app.Editor.handleQuitInternal(Editor.java:2155)
at processing.app.Editor$43.run(Editor.java:2171)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:633)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

so there is no java 5 on my snow leopard installation... and 32bit mode of java6 won't work...

I tried this:

but it did not help.

also have a look at this post:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1239162176

Is there a core available for the ATTiny85 that will work with Arduino 18? I didn't see one on the Luminet website.

Brett

not yet. 0018 support is the next point on my list... check again at April 22nd :slight_smile:

Most excellent...looking forward to it!

I'm also looking forward to ATiny85 cores. All attempts at building them my self have failed. I'm just to green at this stuff.

I know it's another toolset to learn but it's fairly easy to program an attiny85 in C code using AVR Studio. There's an excellent tutorial on avrfreaks.com that introduces avr programming using an attiny85.

you end up needing to use direct port addressing but the tutorial walks you through it and the 85 is so limited that there's really not that much to it.

I think this is what got me started: http://imakeprojects.com/Projects/avr-tutorial/

Thanks, I will take a look at that link as I wait... :slight_smile:

which functions do you need? What kind of project do you want to build? If you only need digitalRead() and digitalWrite() then I can provide a pre-release very soon.

For my first application for the ATtiny85 I'm building a connected set of pushbutton boxes with buzzers and leds for quiz show setup to be used in classrooms at my son's school. The only functions I really need are digital read/write and delay. I wouldn't mind following Bill2009's suggestion except that I'm running linux & don't want to mess with trying to get avrstudio to cooperate with wine; tried that a couple of years ago without much success. I'm using a homebrewed parallel port icsp, which enjoys some support with Arduino 18.

Brett

I'm looking to make a Simple SMALL servo controller that will use analogRead(), delay() and the Servo.h library.

Is it possible to burn the standard arduino bootloader onto a atmega328 using the modified ide and ftdi bitbang? Any changes to your ide necessary?

its really of topic but yes you can burn an bootloader from the ide but you need a one pre-burned arduino or isp
if you look back in this thread you can find a guide