Removing ATmega

baum:
Just checked out SFE's ZIF, in the comments people mentioned that it fit into the DIP socket on the board... so I'll get an IC puller from amazon and put in a zif socket.

Another question:

Let's assume I had an Uno SMD. How could I program standalone chips without messing up the SMD one on the board?

Thanks!
baum

Basically - in answer to both questions, you should bring out the ISP/ICSP pins to a standard 5/6 pin header (on your standalone), and use an ISP AVR programmer (which you can turn an Arduino into via a sketch in the examples, btw) to program the 328. This is basically how you install the bootloader onto the Arduino. In fact, by using an external programmer, you will gain 2K of flash space for your program (although, IIRC on the UNO, it has an optimized bootloader that fits inside 512 bytes - so you would only gain that much extra space on the UNO). The only reason the Arduino isn't this way to begin with is because the bootloader makes it easier for beginners to get started (and at the time, you needed to use a "real" AVR ISP programmer - which costs extra).

In fact - you might want to just build a standalone ZIF socketed "Arduino" on a "stripboard", bring out the ISP/ICSP pins to a header, then use your Arduino as the programmer as referenced above. That would probably be the simplest solution...

:slight_smile: