Finally a one Gig ohm resistor is avalible

Moore's classic book on Electrostatics has a rule of thumb that 10J discharges can easily be fatal.
(That's for very high voltage circuits where body resistance is insignificant. It gets more complicated when you have 48000 Joules at 15V. Recent (and rather good) video here: Fun with ultracapacitors!! - YouTube )

westfw:
Moore's classic book on Electrostatics has a rule of thumb that 10J discharges can easily be fatal.

Great video; I'm now envisioning a "micro arc-welding rig" in my future (it would cost $70.00 for the caps). I'm wondering, though, if it's possible get stick electrodes smaller than 1/16"...

:smiley:

After some research - I'm now wondering if a micro-TIG rig might be possible... I must be nuts.

http://www.professionaljeweler.com/archives/articles/2000/apr00/0400mn3.html ??

It looks like you could get much more than 1F @ 100V in a shoebox with 7 of these...

Type 6 BOOSTCAP® Array (433 Farad at 15V - 48750 Joules)

So if we charge a 1F cap to 100 volts through the one Gig resistor(the OP was about using this resistor, lets stay on post subject :wink: ), how long to fully charged state?

Lets see RC time contant = (10E9 X 1) = 31.7 years to just 63.2 volts ? Is that right? that's beyond my life expectancy!

Someone younger will have to take this project on and run with it.

Lefty

cr0sh:
Great video; I'm now envisioning a "micro arc-welding rig" in my future (it would cost $70.00 for the caps). I'm wondering, though, if it's possible get stick electrodes smaller than 1/16"...

My landlord does this. Don't remember what size cap he's using though.

When I was at University on of the Lecturers (Profs in the U.S) Had a yellow warning triangle saying:-

WARNING ONE MILLION OHMS

Under which he stuck a 1M resistor

The cleaners kept clear of it.

Finally! A useful poll!

After seeing this vid I finally know how Darth Vader uses the Force... :slight_smile:

Although not just as cool there are other devices with similar low series resistance. The first thing that springs to mind are car engine starter batteries. A friend of mine (student of electrical engineering working on his thesis - a charger for electrical cars) once had a set of those in series for 600V. He was talking something about "small scale current riples". When I asked about small scale he said "almost nothing, you can barely measure it, maybe 20A". They also had some nice caps >1kF in their lab. I think these were some of the very first ultra caps. These guys had those for experimenting ~15years ago-
If I remember it right they used the caps to provide additional current while the (lead) batteries where not able to deliver enough current.

I want one!!! Not sure why through...

bld:
I want one!!! Not sure why through...

Me neither. Part of me does, but part of me says: hell, its got +/- 50 Meg ohms tolerance, what a POS.

Lefty

Grumpy_Mike:
When I was at University on of the Lecturers (Profs in the U.S) Had a yellow warning triangle saying:-

WARNING ONE MILLION OHMS

Under which he stuck a 1M resistor

The cleaners kept clear of it.

I'm putting one of those up in my workshop!!! XD

Years ago San Francisco (I think) was using trolly cars that ran off of Super Capacitors, it'd make a short 15 minute run then stop to recharge

Was just checking out some resistors and came across this one! Check the price!

Your just looking at it wrong, the cost per ohm is far better then any other resistor to be found. :wink:

retrolefty:

[quote author=Jack Christensen link=topic=69977.msg538247#msg538247 date=1315682850]
Was just checking out some resistors and came across this one! Check the price!

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ohmite/RX-1M100AK/?qs=shNB9ANUGonnZD9jtVYLWg%3D%3D

Your just looking at it wrong, the cost per ohm is far better then any other resistor to be found. :wink:
[/quote]

Baha! Indeed!

1 Tohm 1/2 watt
crikey what sort of voltage would you feed into that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
w = E2/R

probably not switch it on and off with a 'duino then!

mmcp42:
1 Tohm 1/2 watt
crikey what sort of voltage would you feed into that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
w = E2/R

probably not switch it on and off with a 'duino then!

The datasheet says it has a 1kv maximum voltage rating. Probably voltage limited by flash-over/breakdown value rather then what it's 1/2 watt rating would allow. However my calculator doesn't have enough zeros for me to validate that or not and my pencil is broken. :wink:

retrolefty:
The datasheet says it has a 1kv maximum voltage rating. Probably voltage limited by flash-over/breakdown value rather then what it's 1/2 watt rating would allow. However my calculator doesn't have enough zeros for me to validate that or not and my pencil is broken. :wink:

It would take 710KV to get .5W, so I guess not. :slight_smile:

and then there's the question of how would you mount it
most PCBs probably leak more current than 1 Tohm anyway

I always wonder why they make these things
It's like 0 ohm resistors!
what's the difference between that and a short circuit or copper track?

I dunno
bring back valves I say