Switching Power Supply - Common Ground

(deleted)

The more you can distribute the load the better.
Why not 12 to 20 smaller dc-dc converters all fed by one 12 to 24V/40A P.S. ?

(deleted)

(deleted)

No because it is designed for a USB input . Find one designed for a simple solder pad connection or screw terminal.

dc to dc buck converter

I'm currently working on a project that involves 660 WS2812b LEDs

What does this break down to ?

Are they strips ?

How many leds per strip ?

Are they individual leds wired from scratch ?

How many "loads" do you have ? (660 or some other number )

(deleted)

The output is fixed 5V. Is that what you want ?

(deleted)

Then how can you use more than 4 dc to dc converters unless you wire them in parallel ?

Also, if you have 4 strips, then you don't have 660 loads. You have 4.

(deleted)

In that case you can put one every 15 to 20 LEDs as LONG as ALL SHARE a COMMON GND !
There is NO limit to how many you can have

(but if I understood you correctly there are only 4 places to connect them)

Post a link for the strips.

(deleted)

I am still not understanding how you plan to wird all this up. Where do you plan to connect ghe converters ?

(deleted)

As long as all of your power supplies have isolated outputs, you not only can connect all grounds together, you MUST connect all grounds together.

Just make sure you don't do something like have a bunch of 16 gauge wires on the positive side, and only one 16 gauge wire for power return on the ground side. All ground wires must carry exactly as much current as the positive side.

I'd strongly suggest building the thing in (electrically) identical modules, each module is self-contained with
power and can be tested/commissioned separately. Finally you stick them together under control of a central
micro.

Thus the natural breakdown is into 4 modules. You can build a 5th as a spare too if they are fully interchangable.

'd strongly suggest building the thing in (electrically) identical modules, each module is self-contained with
power and can be tested/commissioned separately. Finally you stick them together under control of a central
micro.

Thus the natural breakdown is into 4 modules. You can build a 5th as a spare too if they are fully interchangable.

You could put 10 to 15 2A dc to dc converters in one module all wired in parallel. If you use filter caps on the outputs (4700 uF or greater), it should smooth out the ripple due to modules fighting with other modules over the output voltage.

I'd be very leery of connecting the outputs of a lot of high powered switch mode power supplies together. All it takes is a few hundredths of a volt difference in their setpoints and one or two end up carrying most of the current.