Arduino 0018 now available.

Arduino 0018 is now available from the downloads page. Changes below.

[core / libraries]

• Added tone() and noTone() functions for frequency generation.
  • Added Serial.end() command.
  • Added precision parameter for printing of floats / doubles.
  • Incorporated latest version of Firmata.
  • Fixed bug w/ disabling use of the RW pin in the LiquidCrystal library.
  • No longer disabling interrupts in delayMicroseconds().
  • Fixed bug w/ micros() returning incorrect values from within an interrupt.
  • Fixed bug that broke use of analog inputs 8-15 on the Mega.

[environment]

• Synchronized with the Processing 1.0.9 code base, bringing various fixes,
    including to a bug causing saving to fail when closing the last sketch.

• Added support for third-party hardware in the SKETCHBOOK/hardware folder,
    mirroring the current structure of the hardware folder in Arduino.

• Added Ctrl-Shift-M / Command-Shift-M shortcut for serial monitor.

• Hold down shift when pressing the Verify / Compile or Upload toolbar
    buttons to generate verbose output (including command lines).

• Moving build (on upload) from the applet/ sub-folder of the sketch
    to a temporary directory (fixing problems with uploading examples from
    within the Mac OS X disk image or a Linux application directory).

• Fixed bug the prevented the inclusion of .cpp and .h (or .c and .h) files
    of the same name in a sketch.

• Improved the Mac OS X disk image (.dmg): added a shortcut to the
    Applications folder, a background image with arrow, and new FTDI drivers.

Where can i find more details on:

• Added tone() and noTone() functions for frequency generation.
  • Added Serial.end() command.
  • Added precision parameter for printing of floats / doubles.

How to change this back as in 017 ?

• Moving build (on upload) from the applet/ sub-folder of the sketch

Cool! thanks

Well, is not Windows 7 friendly yet ;D but my workaround works well with 0018: http://servicios.ried.cl/win7_arduino_0018.rar
(to get the arduino icon on the taskbar/right context menu)

And for those who experience delays opening the "Tools" menu or when the ide starts in Windows: http://erwin.ried.cl/files/articles/arduino_bluetooth_001/rxtxSerial-2.2_fixed_2009-08-04.rar

Greets

Moving build (on upload) from the applet/ sub-folder of the sketch

What happened to the .elf file?

With the option to “Delete previous applet or application folder on export” unchecked, the .o files can be found in the applet directory but not the .elf file

Please give me back my .elf files

Moving build (on upload) from the applet/ sub-folder of the sketch
to a temporary directory

Does that mean I can not have access to the hex file that is compiled? Then, Please give us back the ability to have the build hex file for loading via a standard programmer when not in the arduino board.

Pretty please?? :cry: :-/

Ken H>

what about users libraries from directory sketchbook/libraries ?
why they hav'nt load? :-/

Nice changes to the codebase. But still a few annoyances keep existing.. i know they are primarily IDE (so processing) based, but hey, on a mature product like Arduino minor bugs may be handled by the dev team...

• Open File Dialog: A new window is created when a file is loaded
  • Shift+Backspace work as DEL...

Two big things for my personal wishlist to be changed... or to be at least toggable..

I can second Nachtwinds post. The first reason is why im still using 0016, and #2 has plagued me forever. I dont even care if the fixes are official, i just want a way to KO those two "features." Great idea for the serial monitor hotkey, are there hotkeys for compile or upload tho?

How to use this feature? SKETCHBOOK/hardware and/or SKETCHBOOK/hardware/libraries is not in the compiler include path!
:-?

• Hold down shift when pressing the Verify / Compile or Upload toolbar
    buttons to generate verbose output (including command lines).

Thanks for that! This was on top of my wish-list!

The .hex (and .elf, etc) files are still generated, just in a temporary directory. Hold down shift while clicking the upload or compile button and you'll get the command line, which includes the path to these files.

What happened to the .elf file?

With the option to “Delete previous applet or application folder on export” unchecked, the .o files can be found in the applet directory but not the .elf file

Please give me back my .elf files

Speaking for OS X, it looks like the elf file gets written to temp space:

/private/var/folders/k2/k21y-zUCHVSPleISvzUf7U+++TI/-Tmp-/build2413601118337222057.tmp/

The build directories look like they get cleaned up when you quit Arduino, so drag files out before quitting.

tiny support?

The build directories look like they get cleaned up when you quit Arduino, so drag files out before quitting.

OK, we can at least get to them - what propose did it serve to change the applet folder so the project files (hex, etc) are not just stored there?

Edit: Just because I fuss a bit about the hex file being relocated to a temp folder - I wish to make clear I appreciate VERY much all the work and effort by the development team for the work done.

Ken H>

Hey guys/girls,

Can we get a description of how the "precision parameter for printing of floats / doubles" works.

Thanks in advance
cwhitto

Found it in the....print.cpp file.

for those who want to know here is an example.

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {

float pi = 3.14156;

Serial.println(pi,3);
delay (2000);

}

This will print 3.142 as the function rounds up or down as needed.

cwhitto

Just because I fuss a bit about the hex file being relocated to a temp folder - I wish to make clear I appreciate VERY much all the work and effort

Does this mean you wouldn't appreciate it if you didn't fuss a bit? ::slight_smile:

Please add me to the list of fussers. AFAIC the elf file and the hex file are the alpha and omega of the compile/build process and hunting all over the computer to find them shouldn't be necessary. If it's necessary to put them somewhere other than the applet folder in order to support OSX or linux or whatever fine but PLEASE at least add a configuration setting to save copies in the applet folder too..

PaulS, you wrote:

Does this mean you wouldn't appreciate it if you didn't fuss a bit?

Perhaps I worded that a bit awkward?

Regradless of any fussing I might do, I wish the group to know how much I appreciate all the work that is being done to make this powerful program available. Until learning abit about this Arduino I NEVER expected to code anything for embedded programs.

I've successfully completed two projects: The laminator temperature controller, and a power supply monitor that monitors voltage, heatsink temperature, and current draw and shut down if either of those exceeds alarm trip point. NEVER did I expect to be able to do something like that... and most important, actually understand the code I wrote!

THANK YOU to the whole group and especially the development team.... but I second RoyK's statement.

Ken H>

... the alpha and omega of the compile/build process and hunting all over the computer to find them shouldn't be necessary.

The Arduino-IDE will create a single temporary directory at runtime where the hex-files are stored. The directory will be deleted when the application exits. The location for this directory will not change its in /tmp on linux and some other permanent location on Mac/Win.
So the hunt is already over after a single compile-run with the shift-key held down for verbose compiler output.

I think 99% of the arduino users don't care/know what a hex-file is and the 1% left should be smart enough to copy the hex-file to a permanent location.
Eberhard

My students and I use the Arduino our robotics projects in the past three years. We use "arduino stamp versions" (including arduino mega).

I think we only use the bootloader to the first exercise, we prefer to use a external ICSP programmer and we need the .hex file (maybe there is some way to do this from the IDE, I do not know).

Now I feel part of that 1%:slight_smile: