Go Down

Topic: Look what I found (Read 892 times) previous topic - next topic

Johan_Ha

I had an old broken car radio lying around. I thought I could use parts from it. This is what I found.

Probably the sensor that detects when a CD is pushed into the slot

There are three tiny diodes and three tiny resistors (121 ohm) and just two leads. I ran 5 V through them and it made an 80 mA current. No light. Has anyone a quick reply on how this works?

IR receiver

This suprised me! I had bought a used car and I had no idea of the radio having a remote control. I tested this little fellow with some Arduino code I found somewhere and it works nicely with all remote controls I found at home.

Some regulator stuff

According to the code I found on one, it outputs 5 V. I don't know why there are two of them. Could it be that since the player consists of a CD station, a radio receiver and the amplifyer, these different parts can't rely on only one regulator? Anyway, a 5 V regulator might come in handy.

Motors

One that sucks in and spits out the CD. One that moves the laser head. One that rotates the CD. I saved some of the nylon cog wheels and other stuff, too. Among them a long rubber coated rob that works as the conveyor for the CD, as well as the laser head on its funny threaded axis.

None of this has any value worth mentioning. All can be bought for a few bucks. But it's the idea in itself that thrills me. Having a felt-tip pen plotter built from spare parts.

- One day my stepper motor driver works like a charm. No task is too big for it and I can do anything with it. Next day it refuses to work and even the tiniest motor blows its fuse. What's wrong with it?
- It's bipolar.

Paul_KD7HB

This is a joke, right? Was there an Arduino in the radio?

Paul

Johan_Ha

- One day my stepper motor driver works like a charm. No task is too big for it and I can do anything with it. Next day it refuses to work and even the tiniest motor blows its fuse. What's wrong with it?
- It's bipolar.

krazydarcy

I think what he's looking to do is use spare/salvaged parts to build his plotter.  Arduino microprocessors are often used as the controller for 3d printers and desktop cnc machines.  A plotter would be similar to a cnc router in that it would move along the x and y axes.  The z axes would be pen down/up.  If he wants to get fancy he coud try to have it be able to change pens mid plot unassisted to create a coloured plot.  Wether you could salvage as opposed to buy suitable motors and other mechanical things would depend on where you live/access to "junk". There are allready numerous boards that are used to drive motors controlled by arduino and even some complete cnc router boards out there.

AllanGH

With appropriate caveats as to the actual utility of a given motor, or group of motors, salvaging from Peter to facilitate Paul's project can lend a greater "entertainment factor" to certain projects.

I've always detested the whole layout/litho/develop/etch process of making printed circuit boards for my prototypes; and, the realization that building an X-Y-Z CNC milling/engraving/routing machine out of what happens to be lying around would be a very good way of streamlining the process.  Since there are very good Gerber to CNC translation routines available, this will not only be a feasible project, but a fun-filled exercise in doing it "my way".  That it's going to be less expensive than buying a turn-key machine, is the proverbial "icing on the cake" for me.

Computers do not do what you want them to do.
Computers do what you tell them to do.

Go Up