Driving Comp Air Engine with Solenoids and Arduino

I don't know how you are calculating the valve open and close times/positions/angles? Are they fixed? Are you going to change them?

Unfortunately, the valve timings need to be adjustable to set increments. If it was always one set value, I would probably bypass the microprocessor all together...

Anyway, I would create a table of open and close values. I would make each value in integer 1000ths of a rotation (or 10ths of a percent, if you wish). So something that happens right after TDC would have a value of 0001 and something that happens just before TDC would have a value of 0999. Note that this is ~3x better resolution than using "degrees" and keeps all the math in integers.

Here is what I would do in the code, starting with the detection of TDC.

1. Subtract right now from previous TDC to establish rotation period in microseconds.
  2. Store this TDC time for use next time around.
  3. Multiply your table of open/close times (in 1000ths of a revolution) against the rotation period.
  4. Each time one of those calculated times occurs open or close whatever valve.
  5. wait for the next TDC

Great! Let me research how to set up tables, and I'll try to put one together. Thanks Richard.