What is happening to the ARM based Arduino

I'm with tim7 on this one. I have a Raspberry Pi showing up any day now. I don't mind deadlines slipping as long as you keep me in the loop.

I just had a custom 2560 board made and really need a 32-bit processor and am looking into non-Arduino platforms now because of the lack of any communication from Arduino.

tim7:
iyahdub, why are you bashing the Raspberry Pi people? Four months after the announcement of their very first product, tens of thousands of people have got their hands on a Raspberry Pi. And the manufacturers have been in regular contact with those still waiting.

Whereas nine months after the "launch" of the Due it is still not publicly available at all, and there's been no news of any progress.

Not bashing no...Just noting the fact that their pr campaign was/is the joke of the century in several ways !! It cant even be sold to kids anymore, as they wanted to, after having had to go through a reclassification.
As far as i can gather, they actually have a nice product; Though i actually cancelled one of the orders i had so i can order one of the Olimex forthcoming similar products instead.

It cant even be sold to kids anymore, as they wanted to, after having had to go through a reclassification.

What makes you say that?

There is nothing in the classification it has that prevents sales to anyone.

I was told by someone from the team., personally that the board was reclassificated and cant be sold to kids anymore... If you say different you must know better then... Im just selling you the fish i been sold. Ring Farnelll and ask them, for example, and they should be able to confirm( or not) the fact !!

About what is happening with DUE !!

iyahdub:
Just noting the fact that their pr campaign was/is the joke of the century in several ways !!

Why is that? For sure there are still many people waiting to get their hands on a RPi board, and some of those have been quite vocal about their impatience. But if you take the trouble to read about the Raspberry Pi Foundation you'll soon see that they have done everything humanly possible to satisfy demand.

Likewise I'm sure there are sound reasons for the unavailability of the Arduino Due. It would be nice to know a few of the details, but recognise that I don't have the right to demand that information.

It cant even be sold to kids anymore, as they wanted to, after having had to go through a reclassification.

Although I've followed the launch fairly closely, I have not heard anything about such a restriction. A Raspberry Pi is (hopefully) on its way to me right now, and nobody has asked my age.

I was told by someone from the team., personally that the board was reclassificated and cant be sold to kids anymore..

That is just plane rubbish.

If you say different you must know better then.

If that is indeed what they said, and not just you getting hold of the wrong end of the stick, then yes I know better. There is no such classification that can stop the board being bought by kids.

The problem with classification that they had was that it had not gone through the CE certification tests, and was classed as a development system. This might have, in some small warped minds, have meant it could not be sold to kids but it is not true. And anyway by getting the thing tested to CE standards they removed that remote possibility completely.

So not only is your tale wrong it is, as we Brits say, arse about face.

iyahdub:
Android ADK2012 is here and is powered by Arduino technology | Arduino Blog
About what is happening with DUE !!

Here is something related to the above link. Minor details but, interesting. لوازم جانبی و لوازم جانبی اندروید  |  Android Open Source Project

As i said, thats what i was told... Then in that case they must have been lying to me then...Go figure ?!? I was told couldnt be bought by minors due to some classification issue regarding a reclassification since launching, hence a new version( revision ?!?) coming in ju;y/august.

So if they lied, and it was indeed a member of the RP team, then the job they doing its even worse, as they now also lying to people... Thats bad then !! Worse then i thought then !!

Here is something related to the above link.

Interesting, two things

Surely that board shape isn't for real, has Google been taking lessons from Arduino?

It looks like there's an FTDI chip on there, that seems unlikely.

Rob

@iyahdub
Well I googled "can not be sold" and added minors and Raspberry Pi and came up with nothing that matched your story.
This link from Gary Nevison, Head of Legislation at Premier Farnell, he is the company spokesperson and customer interface on legislation that affects the electronics industry, such as the RoHS (all variations around the world, including China and Korean RoHS) REACH, EuP, WEEE and Battery Directives.

Says it is good to go.
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/electronics-legislation/2012/04/the-pi-is-ready.html#more

Maybe we should enquire... I know what i been told and Lord knows im not telling fibs...So there is something wrong in this.

Anyway, Google is not the definite truth. I have by experience that theres a lot of things google doesnt answer despite being the truth. Id hate to think that anyone in their perfect mind thinks google knows everything !!

MI Pi Should be shipped tomorrow, haven't checked in a day or so but 28 June was supposed to be the magic number on Tuesday... (I will gladly pay on Tuesday for a hamburg... today) was a famous old Cartoon line... and indicative of Newarks usual B... S always tomorrow, when just a minute ago I logged on or tried to there was nothing new from new ark... except the 'Party Line' just wait... i traded mine for a new 64 bit gigabyte Mo-board and I got the best end of the deal... it sells discounted at 59 -69 dollars here and I paid 35 dollars for Mi Pi, back in the beginning of February of this year. I would be much more interested inn an ARM Arduino than any amount of Pi... Linux as well as C... No thank you I have a fair idea of my capabilities. I have one of the $15.00 32 bit ST evaluation boards that I think will be much more educational than the Pi... Also have one of the Renesas ev boards that scares the hell out of me as I just don't know enough yet to begin to use it... running the Demo's likely would strain my resources... But I will and I think before the year is out as well... IMO

Doc

Four months after the announcement of their very first product, tens of thousands of people have got their hands on a Raspberry Pi.

Raspberry PI hype started in about may of 2011, including the $25 target price.

I don't think it's been quite as much of a farce as some people; it's just that more of mistakes have been visible. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Whereas nine months after the "launch" of the Due it is still not publicly available at all, and there's been no news of any progress.

Due was never "launched." It was announced as "in progress" at Maker Faire NY (Sep 2011) without any details (no actual CPU, no price, etc.) Additional information was announced at MF SV (May 2012); essentially "beta is starting." (Links have been posted here.)

Frankly, they look to be on rather similar schedules, with similar amounts of "design revision." Both should be shipping by about a year after their initial publicity. The main difference has been the amount of hype during that year. Every change and milestone and mistake of RPI was widely publicized, while the Arduino team has been very quiet. Perhaps they're trying to avoid the "Osbourne effect" (something RPI didn't have to worry about.)

I think I'd prefer something in between...

westfw:
Due was never "launched." It was announced as "in progress" at Maker Faire NY (Sep 2011) without any details

True, and I would not have used that word if it were not how the Arduino team themselves described their announcement back in September. They also said that "We plan a final and tested release by the end of 2011".

However I don't think Arduino or Raspberry-Pi deserve criticism for the work they are doing. In both open and closed-source environments plans change, problems emerge, and people come up with new ideas. It's just that we never hear about what happens in the closed-source world, because the product is announced only when it's ready and the warehouses are full.

Open source hardware development works differently and sometimes premature announcements are necessary and unavoidable -- perhaps to raise capital for manufacturing, or to get extra input on the design, or to stimulate interest so that people are ready for the launch.

And of course if anybody thinks they can do better, then they have no excuse not to get to work and prove it!

Banzi had answered some question during the fablab presentation in Torino (Italy) some weeks ago.

long story short:
they had many development problem, changed the main core(it will use a different micro from the fisrt beta board), some people left the project, and after the announce (when they was about at 80% of work done) they discovered that the left 20% was muuuch more they expected.

x raspPI: different product. It is born to be high-lever, with SO system and so on. very hard to use GPIO and low-level thing.
x Arduino 2: will essentially be a arduino UNO on steroid, and will have almost the same API of the arduino UNO :slight_smile:

they had many development problem, changed the main core(it will use a different micro from the fisrt beta board), some people left the project, and after the announce (when they was about at 80% of work done) they discovered that the left 20% was muuuch more they expected.

Interesting and thanks, I don't see why this can't have been put forward on this forum by the Arduino team.

Rob

reference video: One-To-Many Live Video Shopping - Bambuser (maybe with youtube auto-translate you'll understand something)

Engadget has a review and bigger pics of the ADK 2012.

The ADK site has downloads of the IDE now, but at the moment the link for the Windows version points to the OS X version. (Edit: the link is fixed.)