Range Finder Options (40ft), 2d mapping

I've been passively thinking about Arduino projects for awhile, and I've come across an interesting application during the course of my work.

Essentially a range finder on a servo. I've found many similar projects by searching, so my only remaining technical question is regarding the range finder.

I've found short range solutions, and long range professional solutions (wow, expensive), but nothing in the 40'/12m range. The AL_01 from lightware.co.za was the most feasible solution that I found, but the range is twice what I would need for this application, and kits don't appear to be available for purchase.

Anyone come across a range finding method for up to 40ft that won't cripple my bank account?
Thanks

ps: ideally for use in sunlight, but ambient light can be controlled if otherwise impossible.

histortion:
Anyone come across a range finding method for up to 40ft that won't cripple my bank account?

I don't know how robust your bank account is, but you can buy consumer laser range finders with a range of 40m for well under £100. If that sort of price is within your budget, it'd be wort researching to see how they work, whether they're available with digital interfaces and whether it's feasible to canibalise one for its working parts.