Serial LCD help - newbie at programming

BurtonCustomX:
Well I kinda want it to update constantly so the speed can be used as a speedometer. So Phi-panel would work for this project?

The display can't be updated too quickly. If you do 5 updates a second, that is the limit to human eyes to read numbers. You can keep measuring and only update display 5 times a second. Yes, phi-panel can do that.

5 times a second sounds good. And is the code above good for basic screen display with scrolling? Cause I was thinking about adding a button to disable/enable the robot and for turning backlight on/off

BurtonCustomX:
5 times a second sounds good. And is the code above good for basic screen display with scrolling? Cause I was thinking about adding a button to disable/enable the robot and for turning backlight on/off

The above code is a framework. You need to fill some details in. I could help if you do your part first. Turning back light on and off is easy too. Just some more code.

Alright. So we can assign all these features to buttons on the phi panel? Or could I use the serial LCD with some buttons for the same task?

BurtonCustomX:
Alright. So we can assign all these features to buttons on the phi panel? Or could I use the serial LCD with some buttons for the same task?

Right, you can assign any phi-panel key to any tasks. In that sense, you may assign several buttons to do the same job, or even one button to do different jobs under different situations.

So is there any assembly (like soldering) involved with a phi panel? Cause i don't know how to solder. And where do i buy one? if i cant use my lcd and some buttons :stuck_out_tongue:

BurtonCustomX:
So is there any assembly (like soldering) involved with a phi panel? Cause i don't know how to solder. And where do i buy one? if i cant use my lcd and some buttons :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.inmojo.com/store/liudr-arduino-and-physics-gadgets/item/serial-lcd-back-pack---phi-panel/

There are several fully assembled panels still in stock (meaning I'll need to do the soldering if someone places an order on an assembled panel).

So where do I order?

BurtonCustomX:
So where do I order?

Through that link I just posted?!

http://www.inmojo.com/store/liudr-arduino-and-physics-gadgets/item/serial-lcd-back-pack---phi-panel/

Pick the assembled kit option and the LCD size you want.

Alright I'll put in an order and try to figure out some code

So do I need to order the 4x4 keypad also? or can I use my buttons that I have

BurtonCustomX:
So do I need to order the 4x4 keypad also? or can I use my buttons that I have

Not really unless you want to have access to the on board settings menu. How many buttons do you need? I can load a firmware on the panel for you that will support up to 8 buttons.

Thank you :slight_smile: , and 5-6 buttons. Also, how does the backpack connect since the lcd only has a 3-pin connection (5v, gnd, rx)

BurtonCustomX:
Thank you :slight_smile: , and 5-6 buttons. Also, how does the backpack connect since the lcd only has a 3-pin connection (5v, gnd, rx)

It has 5v gnd rx tx and reset to connect to Arduino and 8 pairs of button connections on board. You connect 5v gnd rx tx to arduino, and then buttons to the back pack.

OK, but how is the LCD connected since it only has 3 pins

LCD connects to the back pack. The back pack connects to LCD and keys. The back pack connects to arduino with 3 to 4 wires, 3 for only using LCD 4 for using LCD and keys.

Alright. So where do I place an order to get the back pack with the firmware?

BurtonCustomX:
Alright. So where do I place an order to get the back pack with the firmware?

Same link I posted already:

After ordering the assembled kit, just email me (you will get paypal email addressed from me) saying you want the 8 buttons firmware so I'll load it up with 8 buttons firmware and assemble it.

Alright I'll see wether it can be incorporated in the steering wheel design first. Thanks again :slight_smile: