Help with creating a synth

I am relatively new to electronics and I want to make an analog synth controlled digitally by an arduino. But before I really get started, I would like to see if anyone could help me comprehend this circuit and help me understand the use of the op amp. Triangle Wave Generator

There is a detailed description of the circuit on that page. What are you not understanding?

More information on the Op Amp can be found here:

and

I still cant grasp the general concept of op amps... Ill keep reading.

grahamcrackeh:
I still cant grasp the general concept of op amps... Ill keep reading.

The general concept of an opamp is in its name: Operational Amplifier. Its designed to perform mathematical operations on analog signals; in fact, that was one of its original uses, as a mathematical component for analog computers (which were typically faster and typically smaller than the room/building sized digital behemoths which they competed with from the 1930s-1950s - though less accurate, of course).

KE7GKP,

You are off by like 10,000. A typical op-amp has 10^6 gain at 1Hz but that makes no difference. I would try to understand an op-amp with the two "golden rules" and an inverting amplifier circuit. You do need to know Ohm's law to fully understand the rule. The inverting amplifier amplifies signal by a gain and inverts the signal. The inverting part makes no difference on audio signals though.

Maybe it will help if you read some background on op amps.... from an expert.
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/seminars_webcasts/Op%20Amp%20Applications%20Book%20(PDF)/P2%20ChH_final.pdf