Can you over/under supply Soldering Iron?

I need to replace my exiting soldering iron heating core/element so I searched eBay and found several elements, however some http://goo.gl/hldqd don't mention what AC voltage or frequency they require but are significantly cheaper than the others that explicitly state they run at 240v 60Hz. So my question what would happen if I over supply it and will it work?

The line frequency shouldn't make a difference but If you accidentally got a 110V (USA) heater and ran it on 240V it would put out twice as much heat and get MUCH hotter, possibly causing something to melt.

What model soldering iron do you have? Maybe someone knows a source for cheap replacement elements.

Ok I found out that they are "220v 50/60HZ" irons and as I live in Australia land of the 240v they should be fine.... right? Its only 20v more and I have a dimer on the soldering iron anyway.

bananasdoom:
Ok I found out that they are "220v 50/60HZ" irons and as I live in Australia land of the 240v they should be fine.... right? Its only 20v more and I have a dimer on the soldering iron anyway.

I agree that it should work on 240V, especially with the dimmer.

johnwasser:

bananasdoom:

I agree that it should work on 240V, especially with the dimmer.

Should be fine. Even here is the US where our power is rated as 110/220, mine runs 120/240 consistently and I've had no problem running anything rated at 220 at 240.

Lefty

thanks all for the advice