Arduino + Asus EEEPC works

Arduino 0010 works on the Asus EEEPC in Advanced mode, just add the extra repositories, install gcc-avr and avr-libc and your good to go ;D

The EEE is a nice little platform to work on, small and compact, I can now take my stuff with me and work on projects in a coffee shop. Just need to get my USB oscilloscope working and I'll be all set.

Works in simple mode too. Now I just need to add a nice chunky Arduino icon to the Play tab...

Andrew

Edit - used the "loading.gif" from the Arduino distribution:

Could you provide a little more detail about what you did to get it up and running on your machines?
Thanks.

I just had to rebuild my Asus Eee PC (somehow I lost all sound output from Flash movies) and this time I kept a note of the steps I took to get Arduino running.

1. Add full Debian repository to your apt-get sources file:

sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list

and add a new line containing this:

deb http://www.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

1. Update the apt-get indexes:

sudo apt-get update

1. Get a working build environment and the AVR versions of tools:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install avr-libc
sudo apt-get install gcc-avr

1. Install the Arduino files in your home directory:

cd /home/user
wget http://www.arduino.cc/files/arduino-0010-linux.tgz
tar -xvzf arduino-0010-linux.tgz

1. Try it out:
    cd arduino-0010
    ./arduino

Getting an icon to appear in the launcher is just icing on the cake which I haven't bothered to do this time.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Andrew:

Thanks. Worked great.

Awesome. Thanks for posting the instructions. You should consider updating the Debian Linux page on the playground to use your steps. The current instructions install an old version of the software that some MIT folks created a Debian package for, but which doesn't work (I think) with the Diecimila. It would be cool to have up-to-date directions, especially since it seems pretty simple.

I've added it as a separate page for now (Arduino Playground - Xandros) as the Asus Eee PC already has Java installed whereas some random Debian distribution might not.

Andrew

Cool!

Cool!

Thanks for adding a link to the Dev Tools page on the wiki - I hadn't found that one. Do you know if the wiki has the "show what pages link to this page" feature that MediaWiki has?

Andrew

I am not having good luck with this.
I have followed the instructions but I'm not getting what I think I should be.
When I start up arduino from the command line I get the following screen:

And when I click on any file to open it I get the following:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel not found in gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader{urls=[file:lib/,file:lib/build/,file:lib/pde.jar,file:lib/antlr.jar,file:lib/oro.jar,file:lib/registry.jar,file:lib/mrj.jar,file:lib/RXTXcomm.jar], parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.70)
at gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader.findClass(libgcj.so.70)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.70)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(libgcj.so.70)
at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.70)
at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(libgcj.so.70)
at processing.app.Base.(Base.java:131)
at processing.app.Base.main(Base.java:104)
Stable Library

Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
./arduino: line 16: 24806 Segmentation fault java processing.app.Base

I know I'm missing something, but I don't know what it is.
Can some one throw me a line here?
Thanks

Hi,
looks like you are using the gnu-gcj version of java which gives you this error.

There is a command on the eeepc-OS that lets you switch to the Java-Runtime from Sun which is also installed on the eeepc by default. Open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T) and list the options for java

/home/user> sudo update-java-alternatives -l
java-1.5.0-sun 53 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun

The following should switch to the sun-runtime

/home/user> sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-1.5.0-sun

Please report back if that works for you so we can update the playground-article

Eberhard

YEs! That worked perfectly. Thank you

I don't remember doing that - mine just worked with Java out of the box. Strange.

Andrew

Hi, Andrew

I don't remember doing that - mine just worked with Java out of the box. Strange.

Yes it is, I also can't remember I had to do that when I installed the Arduino for the first time. But since I was only fooling around with the eeepc until I locked myself out of the System (or rather filled the disk to its last available byte) I can't tell any more. After restoring the system I installed the JDK 1.6 right away, so I don't know.

That tip with update-alternatives-java was just a wild guess. Maybe the problem with the gcj-lib goes away when the system
is upgraded?

Anyway I will add this to the Playground-Article.

Eberhard

I need some help. I followed the instructions outlined here to get Arduino working on a different eeePC and everything worked fine. So I ordered a couple 2G Surfs for my electronics class. I went through the instructions exactly as outlined and I get:

./arduino: line 16: java: command not found

I'm a total n00b when it comes to Linux, so any help would be greatly appreciated. So far I've tried:

• Restarting
  • Running the update and install commands again (tells me everything is up to date)
  • Tried "sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-1.5.0-sun" but it told me the command was not found

So far I've only tried this on one of the two I ordered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New Addition:
Java seems to be working, I downloaded Processing and it seems to run fine.

OK, I solved my own problem. Apparently the 2G Surf doesn't come with Java installed, and apparently Processing brings it's own Java along when you install it. This is why Processing Worked but Arduino didn't. I followed these instructions fromm an eeepc forum: eeeuser.com

I have just checked this link does work Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting..

The download is very quick though and it may appear as if nothing has happened. Check your /home/user/ folder.

Once you have the repositories set up once, installing most programs is a doddle.

Here are ALL the hoops you have to jump through:

1. Download pimpmyeee.sh to /home/user/
  2. Press Ctrl+Alt+t
  3. Type sh pimpmyeee-1.0.2.sh
  4. Press [ENTER]
  5. Press R
  6. Press [ENTER]
  7. Press q
  8. Press [ENTER]
  9. Type sudo apt-get install xandros-sun-j2re1.5
  10. Press [ENTER]

OK, I still need help. I can get Arduino and Processing both working, but I just don't seem to have enough space to fit Java, Arduino, and Processing. I tried to remove some packages I wasn't going to use (like Chinese support for Open Office) but removing the packages didn't seem to free up any space. I removed well over 100MB of stuff, but no space has become available.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hello. Im a noob with my 701 eeepc (although Ive owned it for years) and a COMPLETE noob with Arduino.
I have a Duemila that I so want to start playing around with but have run into a problem that I think is java issue.

I can write and save the Blinking LED sketch (from the book Getting Started with Arduino) but am unable to upload the sketch to the Arduino.
I get this message when I try to upload:

java.io.IOException: avr-gcc: not found

Please help.
N

Have you followed the steps in the wiki page mentioned in reply #6?

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Linux/Xandros

Andrew

I tried but I cant even get passed the first step of changing the lists. I get this message:

bash: /etc/apt/sources.list: Permission denied

Please help.
N