1602a 16X2 LCD is blank

JoeO:
Your solder connections do look bad but I am pretty sure (95%) you have another problem. The power busses at the top left corner of the picture ( red, orange, yellow and white wires ) are not connected to where you bring in the power at the top right of the picture (blue and white wires). The power busses on your proto boards are split in half as indicated by the broken red and blue lines.

The solution is to jumper +5 and ground from the left side to the right side. That should fix one problem.

That certainly looks like the problem or at least one of the problems that he has. I'd like to think that I would have picked up on that if I had seen the entire upper photograph. I just figured that the upper photo didn't show the entire board since there was no scroll bar below it and that's one of the reasons that I complained about not being able to follow all of the wires (the other is parallax, but you can't do much about that with a cell phone camera). I didn't look for a scroll bar below the lower picture since it didn't need one. I guess the strange implementation of a single scroll bar for two separate photographs is due to some interaction between the forum software and the browser.

Don