Arduino training board

I am in the processor of completing an arduino training board. The board will be using a Nano V3.0 module as the main processor and will have the following:

DS1307 chip and crystal
Ds18B20 temperature
Three LEDs (green, yellow, red)
Header for LCD
pushbuttons
Dip switches that isolate the main bus from the above devices for independent i/ use
Both digital and analog pin headers for plugging additional shields.

The board will be accompanied by a manual that I am also completing. The board will be in kit form, and I will have it available with our without the Nano. This is a very beneficial kit for novices or anyone else.

I do not know yet the total price but will let you know in the near future.

I want to find out how much interest is there for such a board. Would anyone please let me have your views? I would appreciate your inputs!

Aviator

As far as a training board goes in not too interested because i already know how to usethe real thing. But check out my thread "cheapest Micro" if you could make a very cheap board with the bare minimum but with the programmer on board, with at least 3 pwm pins that had all of the arduino support I would be very interested in using it for smaller projects such as controlling one high power rgb led. This has the potential to be a good idea but price is going to have to be good. If its not a fair amount cheaper than the duemilanove or even the pro mini there won't be any point to buy it. Of for just a buck or two more I could get a pro mini or duemilanove I would go with one of those. Let's be honest, theyre not that hard to use

How much will it cost?
Are you using SMT or Pin In Hole parts?
What is the size of the board?

Considering that its supposed to be a training board the micro should be dip. That way they can be replaced easily. As far as size I wouldn't worry about making it as small as possible for ease of use

Kctess5

Yes, I have read the Cheap Micro post. I think you are rather unrealistic in your endeavors.Even a 328p chip alone costs $5. To that, you will have to add pcb, resonator, etc.

My board is indeed to be used as a trainer and not as a development tool, although it can be used for such as purpose as well. Take a look at the added stuff that neither duemilanove or UNO have, and you will realize that this board (about 2.5in wide by 3.00 in high) is different.

As for the price, I don't know yet. I will announce it as soon as I have samples and test the board. In lots of 100, the pcb alone will cost me $1.70.

I have seen a small Nano type board on eBay called Anarduino. It sells for around $10 in kit form, and has the 328. However, you will have to solder wires to the pwm pins yourself (the 328 offers six of them) and also provide a tx/rx circuit.

Let me know if I can help you at all.

Aviator

BTW, the board uses through-hole parts; the main processor module is the Nano V3.0, which is already assembled.

Aviator

Thanks for your reply aviator. You made some good points and i see where your coming from. I might still be interested so ill keep following this thread

It might be worth including an option to solder in a rotary encoder (with push button) too. The combination of lcd and rotary encoder is very powerful, and a rotary encoder is a lot nicer to use than up/down pushbuttons for setting timers etc.

DC42 and others

Again, this is a trainer for the novice people. In fact, the first three chapters of the workbook describe the basic electronic components, how to read schematics, how to use instruments. Experienced folks would not have the need for these chapters, except for refreshing purposes. I could add many more things, such as the rotary encoder you mentioned, but I don't want to change the board into a super development board. Nevertheless, I have designed it with headers and bus exactly the same as the Arduino boards, so that, should anyone more experienced wish to use the board for other tasks, the facility is there. By having the RTC, novices can experiment with I2C, which is explained in the workbook. By having the DS18B20, novices can learn how to use 1wire, which, again, is explained in the book. The book has numerous useful examples and, if, for example, the novice wants to take it a bit further and experiment, say, with ethernet, the novice can purchase an ethernet shield and plug it into the board.

I do appreciate the time you all are taking to guide me towards producing a more useful board. I do take your comments seriously and, as you can see, answer most of them.

Aviator