How do you make pretty arduino schematics?

I keep seeing nice, clean, clear arduino schematics, like this one: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/09/arduino-projects-getting-started/arduino-morse-flasher-board-layout-large.jpg

Now I need to make a schematic for a recent project. Somebody please tell me that making these things is easy, free, and fun. :smiley:

1 Like

cat6:
I keep seeing nice, clean, clear arduino schematics, like this one: http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/09/arduino-projects-getting-started/arduino-morse-flasher-board-layout-large.jpg

Now I need to make a schematic for a recent project. Somebody please tell me that making these things is easy, free, and fun. :smiley:

The usual answer is to download fritzing: http://fritzing.org/. I think eagle may be another thing to try: Beginning Embedded Electronics - 8 - SparkFun Electronics.

Here is an example I did of a shutter release I was working on with fritzing. It didn't take all that long to do (note, I added the legends afterwards in gimp which is a free photo editor):

Thanks, Michael. I've heard Eagle's learning curve is harsh, so I'll try fritzing instead. I can add labels in after the fact with photoshop or whatever's handy.

fritzing has very limited collection of diagrams and parts. I tried several times to do some diagrams but got discouraged by this serious limitation.

In no way should this product be considered a 'schematic drawing' application program, it is just a visual pictorial of the physical wiring layout. Learning to read and create true schematic drawings should not be confused with what this PC application creates. While there is room in the world for both forms for sharing circuit information, if I could only have one I would always pick a true schematic drawing over a pictorial layout drawing.

Lefty

Except for the simplest of circuits I find Fritzing diagrams do be totally unreadable, mostly I think because there's no pin information but also because the physical layout of a circuit is seldom the best way to document what it's supposed to do.

@cat6
It may be fun to use Fritzing, but if you ever need help from experienced members you may find that they take one look and move on to the next post :slight_smile:

I've heard Eagle's learning curve is harsh,

Ain't that the truth.

Rob

So what is a fairly easy and free program for proper schematics editing? Is there one? I have looked at a few programs like PCB Express, TINA TI, Eagle CAD, PCB 123, MultiSim, etc. It seems that either it's very difficult to find different components, or it's overly time consuming to learn, or it has very few components. I liked National Instruments MultiSim, but it isn't free.

TeslaIaint:
So what is a fairly easy and free program for proper schematics editing? Is there one? I have looked at a few programs like PCB Express, TINA TI, Eagle CAD, PCB 123, MultiSim, etc. It seems that either it's very difficult to find different components, or it's overly time consuming to learn, or it has very few components. I liked National Instruments MultiSim, but it isn't free.

I don't know, but when you find the perfect, easy, free or low cost, and quick to learn and use let me know. I've resulted to hand drawing and taking a picture for posting purposes on occasions, as I have little patience and time to spend on such efforts. :smiley:

Lefty

I've done some drawings in PSPICE student. It's free but the download link is hard to find. I also did some with MS Visio but it's not free.

When I first started with making schematics/custom PCBs, I tried Eagle first. After a few minutes I deleted it. I then went to Fritzing and was a lot easier and faster to learn the basics. After a while when I was getting into more complicated designs, Fritzing did not hold up to the task. Then I went to Eagle as there are lots of tutorials and parts libraries. I now only use Eagle for every schematic and PCB layouts.

Basicly, learn with Fritzing, them move to Eagle when you are ready to get serious.

There are a few unique mouse things that EAGLE does, like many other CAD software do, that are not what typical computer users expect. Once you get over that, you can learn better. Like on another post someone said EAGLE was designed for 3-key mouse.

retrolefty:
In no way should this product be considered a 'schematic drawing' application program, it is just a visual pictorial of the physical wiring layout. Learning to read and create true schematic drawings should not be confused with what this PC application creates. While there is room in the world for both forms for sharing circuit information, if I could only have one I would always pick a true schematic drawing over a pictorial layout drawing.

Lefty

Fritzing also has schematic and breadboard views. Although, they are also lacking in the "total number of parts" department. I had to switch to it from Eagle because I sell circuitboards that I designed, and didn't want to have to pay for a license.

wizdum:
Fritzing also has schematic and breadboard views. Although, they are also lacking in the "total number of parts" department. I had to switch to it from Eagle because I sell circuitboards that I designed, and didn't want to have to pay for a license.

Eagle has a free version.. I am assuming that your boards are bigger than 80mm x 100mm?

Wizdum,
What did you use for the PCB views on your website? Looks good.

TeslaIaint:
Wizdum,
What did you use for the PCB views on your website? Looks good.

That's Fritzing. Looks like a screencap of the PCB in the program.

All CAD programs are hard to learn, but some are harder than others and I just can't get my head around Eagle. Not that I've tried that hard I suppose because I use another product but I couldn't even pan the screen without usig the scroll bars. Yuk! Is that for real or just me?

Rob

i tried fritzing and when i installed it, it said i need to install something but it didn't tell me

Pencil* and paper has a very easy learning curve and has the great advantage of producing understandable schematics - unlike most Fritzing pictures.

...R
* I saw in another Thread that grown-ups use pens - but I have not advanced that far.

1 Like

gadget9594:
i tried fritzing and when i installed it, it said i need to install something but it didn't tell me

You had a lucky escape then. Please do not use it. If you do have to use it then please don't post it here.

DesignSpark is free from Allied. Can make gerber files to make your own boards.