Arduino web site very slow

XD

Oh thy irony!

I was trying to read the replies to this thread and the forum was hanging again.

Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 16:32 UTC

Take a look at this:

Another lag spike. And according to FireBug, 2 minutes 35 seconds downloading this:

http://arduino.cc/resources/jquery/plugins/bubblepopup/css/jquery.bubblepopup.v2.3.1.css?fin11

I've already stated earlier that I don't find the pop-up windows useful. And particularly so if it takes 2.5 minutes to generate. This is ridiculous. Can't we turn them off?

Everything else downloaded in, like, 30 milliseconds. Except maybe the jquery-1.4.4.min.js - take took around half a second.

True, i save things before i hit post

Finally sorted it, I think. After another lag spike today I went into AdBlockPlus which I had previously installed to get rid of, well, ads, and added this custom rule:

arduino.cc/resources/jquery/

That blocks the browser from trying go load that "popup" Javascript query. Now the pages seem to load lightning fast!

Got another massive lag spike just then (about 4:25 pm Australian EST summer time). I don't get the strong impression that the forum administrators care, because all my posts here are ignored, basically.

(About 5:25 am UTC on 29 March 2012).

Even though I use AdBlock to stop the 2.5 minute lag when it tries to look up my outstanding posts, that of course does not stop other people tying up the database while it tries to do it for them.

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=topic=85590.msg741467#msg741467 date=1332998940]
Got another massive lag spike just then (about 4:25 pm Australian EST summer time). I don't get the strong impression that the forum administrators care, because all my posts here are ignored, basically.

(About 5:25 am UTC on 29 March 2012).

Even though I use AdBlock to stop the 2.5 minute lag when it tries to look up my outstanding posts, that of course does not stop other people tying up the database while it tries to do it for them.
[/quote]I also saw a severe slowdown. I think that they really need to look into fixing the problem.

Deja Vu, we've been here before (about 2009 if I remember), time to throw some more money at the hosting ?

I'm not convinced throwing money at it will do it. A while back I got the impression the administrators were keenly monitoring the situation with a view to working out the problem. However my recent reports have gone largely ignored. (With all due respect to the forum admins who are no doubt very busy).

I think, though, that some of the "helpful" features, like notifying you of new posts might be bogging down the database. Through no fault of my own, when I check my "subscribed" list there are dozens of pages. That's because every time I reply I get auto-subscribed to that thread. So I wonder if hundreds of people, being checked for thousands of threads, might not be slowing it down.

BTW - another massive lag spike around the time of this post.

Another massive lag spike today followed by what looks like a server/database crash:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@arduino.cc and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This was at: 22:58 Monday (GMT)

I just sat here for 2 minutes and 37 seconds waiting for the site to come up. Navigating takes for-freaking-ever. This is useless. Arduino maintainers, you guys need to pay attention here and not simply ignore us. Or if you're telling us something is being done, then tell us what and when. Are you working towards a better forum software, or better hardware, or what's being done? I have essentially stopped checking the forums every single day like I used to, now I only come here maybe once or twice a week, and quite honestly, that's bad when the same people who's supporting you and driving the product, are the ones who you are letting down. True, new people will continue to register every day, so it will grow, but its the veterans, those who actually help those newbies, those are the ones you will lose because we're all fed up with this delay every single time you click on something.

Something needs to be done.

I'll have another stab at getting attention. However I think I am detecting a pattern here.

When I attempt to ban a spammer (something I am more or less giving up doing) it takes something like 5 minutes and during that time I can't even access other pages. I think the banning process sends the site into some kind of "lockdown" mode.

Maybe some problem with the member registry? I wonder if similar effects occur when a new member registers?

smeezekitty:
Maybe some problem with the member registry? I wonder if similar effects occur when a new member registers?

Could be. And we appear to get hundreds of new registrations every day, mainly from spammers.

Its unfortunate that spammers insist on wasting server resources, the moderators time and in the case of human spammers, their own time on a fairly ineffective advertising technique.

It's extremely annoying, but I think they are just bots these days. So I suppose they can unleash a million of them and hope a thousand get through for long enough for the ad to be swept up by Google and appear on the Google page.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@arduino.cc and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

at:

11:41 AM Tuesday, April 24, 2012 (UTC)

This is the web site from where I am sitting:

problem / problem / loaded one page / loading / loading / loading / loading

I'm doing something else for a the rest of the day.

They didn't give you any tools as a moderator to handle these bots or ban their IPs? If not, I would be riding the Admins to implement a mod like the one that uses http://www.stopforumspam.com . Either way, good luck and I hope they get the spam registrations in check before it destroys the board.

Yes, we can ban them one by one. Once the ban page is sent the forum seems to hang (from my point of view) for around 3 to 4 minutes. The page is not confirmed, and I can't even browse other pages (eg. answer questions). I suspect now that when things are going slowly (but I am not attempting to ban someone) that someone else is banning someone, as something like 50 people get banned every day.

In terms of tools, not apart from that. And a bot can make accounts faster than this incredibly slow process of manual banning.