Issues switching from Arduino Uno to Arduino Mega 2560

Hello, I am having issues with changing from an arduino uno to an arduino mega 2560. The previous code and such worked fine, but when I switch over to the mega, making sure to change the board and ports in the tools section, i get the following error at the end of the compiling:

avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

I have looked through a lot of different solutions to such an error, such as updating drivers, changing the port, etc. but none of them have worked. Could anyone help?

Edit: Realized that this might be in the wrong forum section, should probably be in the avrdude, stk500 section. Not used to forums, and have no idea how to fix.

Remove any connections to pins 0 and 1. These pins are used for communication with your computer, including uploads. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with uploads.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Arduino board from the Tools > Port menu. Most Arduino boards will be labeled with their name in the Tools > Port menu. Others, like some Mega derivative boards, will not. Here’s how you can find the port of those boards:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

If the Tools > Port menu is grayed or the port of your Arduino does not appear on the menu:

• Make sure your USB cable is fully inserted into the Arduino board and the computer.
  • You may need to install the driver for the USB-serial chip on your Arduino.
  • You may be using a charge-only or defective USB cable. Try a different cable or test your cable on another device to confirm that it works for data.
  • Using a USB 3.0 port on your computer may cause problems. Try a USB 2.0 port.

Thank you for the response, disconnecting from pin 0 seemed to fix that problem!

On to the rest of the issues for me, Yay!