daisy chaining 74HC595's

Ruffsta:
starting to feel sorry i bought this damn thing for my son and i to have something to do together and joining this forum.. since day 1 i never felt welcomed here... and i still feel the same way. glad i won't let my son join this forum... i can imagine how he would be treated.

and for all of you "experts" on here.. shame on you for not remembering what it was like being new and/or not having the patience to those that are new.. and you should also stop talking to all the new people like they know as much as you.

Maybe you've been disappointed because you're so hostile. There's a LOT to learn when getting into electronics. You can't just go to the forums and demand that someone show you how to do things. When the first poster suggested checking the datasheets you got mad. But that's step 1 when using ANY new component. You ALWAYS start by looking up the datasheet, as it's filled with info that will help you use their product properly. All you have to do is look at the part number.

74HC595 is a type of IC made by lots of manufacturers, but they all have their own unique part number. For example, the ones I got from TI are SN74HC595N. By looking up that datasheet, I found that the maximum current it can handle is 50ma. If you use 180 ohm resistors as shown in the image in the OP, lighting up more than 3 rows of lights will fry the chip. And that's with a PNP transistor switching their current. Just the gate current drawn by the transistors will put you over the top.

So try not to get frustrated. There's a lot to learn, but all it really takes is a bit of research. Engineers spend years learning this stuff in college. Don't be afraid to spend an hour with your nose buried in a datasheet. You'll be a lot more successful and things will make a lot more sense when you come back to the project armed with knowledge about how it works and why each component is needed.

Also, the first image that you posted leaves the output enable pin floating. That's not good. But you'd know that if you had read the datasheet. 8)