Problem with LCD display

First of all, I'm sorry for my english. I'm french people.

I'm not sure where is the problem. I never work with LCD display. I copy my program below.

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

LiquidCrystal lcd(1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9);

void setup() {
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
}

void loop() {
  lcd.print("hello, world!");
  delay(1000);
  lcd.clear();
  delay(1000);
}

I don't understand because my display don't show the message "Hello workd!" and the delay and clear function not work.

The display is on. I can adjust the brightness of the screen with the potentiometer. The first line is also on. I think that the wiring is good.

I don't know if is important to say, but I work with the arduino mega board.

Thanks to the person who find the error.

You should not be connecting Arduino pin 1 to your LCD since that pin is used by the serial port to upload your program.

Don

I change the code and the wiring and not use the pin 1 of the arduino.

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

LiquidCrystal lcd(2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9);//(rs, enable, d4, d5, d6, d7) 

void setup() {
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
}

void loop() {
  lcd.print("hello, world!");
  delay(1000);
  lcd.clear();
  delay(1000);
}

And I have any compilation error and the display didn't show the message.

I found the error. I have buy a chinese arduino kit and the don't solder all componant ...

Thank for your help!

Submakekolic:
I found the error. I have buy a Chinese Arduino kit and the don't solder all component ...

They usually do solder all the components.

I suspect you mean that you actually need to solder things together, in particular to solder pin headers (or sockets) onto the respective boards. :grinning:

It is something we expect to be unbelievably obvious, but if you do not solder connections into holes on PCBs, they are not actually connected. :astonished: Only plugs and sockets which are designed to do so, simply push together to connect.