a more professional Arduino IDE

I would like to see a more advanced ("professional") Arduino IDE (I know I can use Eclipse).

This woudn't mean that the current IDE need to get more complicated for beginners, but if there would be either an additional "Pro Version" or at least some more features within the current IDE that would be fine. Some of my wishes would also be helpful for beginners, I think.

Some things I would like to see:

• possibility to select and upload HEX and DAT - Files to EEPROM and ROM
  • Dump EEPROM to HEX File
  • Commenting functionality like in Eclipse
  • finding the method body if you mark a method call and press a special key (like F3 in Eclipse)
  • collapsing Code in the editor

I know there would be many more things - it is just a small example.

What about having the Arduino IDE loading "Plugins" ? So there could some tools be made by customers (like the EEPROM Dumper / Writer and an Hex-Editor to easily manipulate the eeprom hex file).

the-fallen:

• possibility to select and upload HEX and DAT - Files to EEPROM and ROM
  • Dump EEPROM to HEX File

Check the AVRDUDE.EXE command line program for these two functions.

Hi

The Arduino IDE supports plugins, they are called "tools" and appear in the tools menu.

here Tool Overview · processing/processing Wiki · GitHub you can find the documentation on how to write them.

You can expect more advanced functionalities in IDE 1.5.x and 2.x

I'm not sure we would have the bandwidth to support a "professional" IDE unless people would be willing to pay for it.

Do you think there is a market for that?

m

robtillaart:
Check the AVRDUDE.EXE command line program for these two functions.

I know them and use them that way. Its just not as comfortable as it can be.

Nevermind. Thats really great. I will have a look at it.

I dont know if there is a Market for a payed IDE. Unfortunately people aren't willing to spend money on that if it has no blinking blue LED on it.

Maybe I schould try to add some features for my own and contribute them.

Thanks for your answers.