I must be doing something wrong

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows Store 1.8.10.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

c:\program files\windowsapps\arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.10.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr\bin../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar.exe: unable to rename 'core\core.a'; reason: File exists

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Hi,
I think your are using a version of the IDE that from the WindowsStore, I gather some people are having problems with it.

Uninstall it and get a copy of the IDE from here;

Hope it helps... Tom... :slight_smile:

Hi Tom I have just had a look at the sofware page and it looks like the only IDE link is via the Windows Store.

Previous versions:

Hi,
You do not have to download via windowsStore
Click where either red arrow points, then select "Just Download" or "Comtribute and Download"

Tom.. :slight_smile:

Tom many thanks for all your time on this problem . I now see where I was going wrong

Iarryd thanks for the extra link

Colin

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 2158 bytes (6%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 52 bytes (2%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1996 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM1": The system cannot find the file specified.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

I dumped the old program and reloaded with the new one looks like the problem is now with the port COM1

Hi,
It will be highly unlikely that the UNO will be at COM1,
Look here and see what is selected.
COM8 is the UNO I have connected at the moment, you will find each arduino board will have differing com numbers.

Also check "Get Board Info".
get.jpg
Tom... :slight_smile:

Once again many thanks for all your help .

I checked the port and it's No 3 I reckon the problem must be the board I purchased on eBay I'm 99.9 % sure it's a pirate copy. When I look at the board info it tells me "BN: Unknown Board"

I guess you only get what you pay for so I binned it and ordered a genuine board from a Perth dealer , should have by first thing Monday.

As I many thanks for all your help

Colin

PS fingers crossed the new board works lol

A “cheap eBay board” will have the CH340 usb to serial chip. You just need the correct driver.

Yes, it’s a Chinese website. That’s because it’s a chip from China.

ColRay:
Once again many thanks for all your help .

I checked the port and it's No 3 I reckon the problem must be the board I purchased on eBay I'm 99.9 % sure it's a pirate copy. When I look at the board info it tells me "BN: Unknown Board"

I guess you only get what you pay for so I binned it and ordered a genuine board from a Perth dealer , should have by first thing Monday.

As I many thanks for all your help

Colin

PS fingers crossed the new board works lol

Don't bin it, did you select COM3 like I have COM8 on my example.
Can you post a picture of your UNO please.
Can you show me some screen captures of what your IDE shows like my posting?
Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

It's pluged into port COM3

Board picture

board 2.jpg

Hi,
That means that you have coms to the board, if you didn't then you would not get a response.

Can you load an Example code, goto Files, Examples, Basics, Blink.
The Blink example should pop up in a new window.
In that window click on the upload => icon.

See what happens..

Tom.... :slight_smile:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0x00 != 0x0c
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

Hi,
Go to Files, Preferences and select "Show verbose output during compilation".
Then see what the expanded error message is.

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

Hello Tom done that , do I run blink again ?

ColRay:
Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows Store 1.8.10.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

c:\program files\windowsapps\arduinollc.arduinoide_1.8.10.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr\bin../lib/gcc/avr/4.9.2/../../../../avr/bin/ar.exe: unable to rename 'core\core.a'; reason: File exists

exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno.

Maybe you can try saving your project to a different filename .... just for test purpose.... and try compiling again.

ColRay:
Hello Tom done that , do I run blink again ?

Yes.
And as @Southpark has suggested, save the blink code as another name and use that file.
Tom.... :slight_smile:
PS, When you downloaded the IDE, did you download the .exe loading code or the .zip manual loading code?