having trouble with 4 pcf8574 i2c

hello, i have designed an arduino powered nixie tube clock and it worked fine on the breadboard version but now that i have had the board produced and i have finished soldering it together i ran a i2c scanner to make sure that all 5 chips were detected on the i2c bus and all five were: 0x38, 0x39, 0x3A and 0x3B are the pcf8574 and 0x68 is my time keeping ic so it has detected all of the i2c bus.

during the programming stage i have a normal arduino with 4 jump leads from 5v,GND,A4,A5 jumping to my built circuit board as my design has a stand alone arduino but no usb host to program kit on s i ahve to program it on an ordinary arduino then transfer the chip once it is working.

the problem is when i am trying to write to the port expanders in order to control the tubes and no mater what i put into the port expanders over the i2c bus all the outputs are on. i have tried numerous times to get this working but it does not seam to want to work...

the ode that i currently have is design to display 4 sets of the same random number on all of the tubes.

(each port expander has 8 outputs 4 of which go to one nixie driver and the other 4 go to a second nixie driver and they act as BCD lines which is how i control them.

here is my code:

#include <Time.h>
#include <Wire.h>

void setup() {
  Wire.begin();
  Serial.begin(9600);
  //setTime(0,0,0,1,1,2013);
}

void loop() {

delay(1000);

int hou = random(0, 99);
      int i = hou/10;